Car Stereo Wiring Disaster causing other problems?

Old 05-07-2008, 03:00 AM
1st Gear
Default Car Stereo Wiring Disaster causing other problems?

So i checked the trunk wiring...looks good. I replaced the gauge cluster...still no cluster lights....checked the bulbs...good...replaced the headlight switch...still no lights...got me thinking...the idiot who had my 1990 audi 80 before me was dumb enough to leave his heroin needle in the trunk (which i had to jimmy open...I have no door keys and the ignition key is different cause the ignition was replaced)...so anyway...maybe he was dumb enough to completely screw up the wiring to the cd player(which i have no idea whether or not it works...there is no faceplate)...anyway...i pulled out the head unit and discovered a bunch of wires going nowhere and spliced in a really half *** way onto an aftermarket radio harness...i removed the harness and began to sort out the wires. Here is what i found. 2 plugs, both female. A bunch of wires. Should i try and find an audi with factory radio at a junkyard and wire it up accordingly or can someone help me sort this out so maybe...just maybe...I can solve this lighting problem once and for all...last thing...should the heater switches be lit up too? they do not light up currently. Thanks...

Dan

Old 05-31-2008, 09:44 PM
Default RE: Car Stereo Wiring Disaster causing other problems?

hey mate, usually bad wiring to one item in the car like a stereo or amplifier will usually cause issues with that item only, as in, the amp could blow or the deck not power up etc.
I had the same issue with my dashboard lights, and the heater lights, i checked all the fuses in my fuse box (under the hood, just sitting under the windscreen on drivers side) and it was just a blown fuse, so just double check that.
i wouldnt bother looking for a stock radio, aftermarket stereos are always a better option for older style cars, as most dont have cd players, and if they do, feature very primitave anti skip functions, which are terrible.
figure out which wires are what, rewire a new deck in, solder all connections, and use a good quality electrical tape to insulate wire.