How to replace Ignition Lock Cylinder on 1996 Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 07:26 PM
1st Gear
Default How to replace Ignition Lock Cylinder on 1996 Cabriolet

Does anyone know how to replace the ignition lock cylinder on a 1996 Cabriolet? The key is having a hard time going in and coming out and sticks a little and doesn't always pop out. It always springs back after starting so I'm pretty sure it's not the ignition switch. It feels like the tumblers are jamming. I sprayed it with WD40 and that helped a little but I'm afraid the key may either get stuck in there or I won't be able to get it in later. I tried the regular key and the unused valet key and they both have the same problem so I'm pretty sure it's not the key itself.

Any advice and help is greatly appreciated.

Marc

Old 05-22-2007, 11:11 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: How to replace Ignition Lock Cylinder on 1996 Cabriolet

try some lithium grease spray

Old 05-26-2007, 10:14 PM
1st Gear
Default You need the Bentley's procedure

Bentleys manual clearly shows how to remove the lock cylinder. It looks likea bit of a pain, but do-able.What it doesn't show is the actual cylinder itself. I'd go to the dealer and make sure that you can buy a new cylinder and have it matched to your key before I got into this.Don't start this on the fly without the instructions. There is a certain spot that has to be drilled through in the steering lock housing to release the lock cylinder. Asksomebody tosend you the procedure.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:07 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: You need the Bentley's procedure

it is a pain indeed

Old 05-26-2007, 11:21 PM
1st Gear

InExile,

I did try some lithium grease spray, and it did help. My only concern is that it may not last and the key may get stuck in the ignition. Thus it may be prudent to be pro-active.

hubturn,

Thats for the advice. I was thinking of getting the Bentley manual as I have a few other minor things to fix (clean out the EGR valve). As for a matching key, Audi can't provide one at this point. I did check with the local dealer and they told me I would have to have a new key for ignition and use my old key for the doors and trunk. They wanted $260 to replace it. I found the part online for $60, thus my delima, should I do it myself as I do most minor repairs on my own or pay them the extra $200.

Thanks again for the help guys!

Old 05-27-2007, 01:12 PM

just lube it a bit. should make it work better. I used DOT4 , I diped the key, and moved it in and out of the key hole. helped a lot.

I need to clean my EGR too, I used a tube, and applied direct vacuem to it, and nothing happened, engine just kept ideling. but I have no clue how to clean it at all

Old 05-27-2007, 01:23 PM

turn ignition to auxiliary position and where you see the red line there is a bearing that you need to press in then pull the barrel out with the key still in, easily cleaned and lubricated like this

[IMG]local://upfiles/12092/783831476D654A30A5CCDFCEF14DBB68.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-28-2007, 12:38 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Ignition Tumblers

Humm, I must be blind or just missing it. I can't find the place you pointed to with the red line so I can push the bearing. Mine has a black cover that may be covering that part up. This cover spins freely but does not unscrew or come off by pulling on it (maybe I need to pull harder, but it's hard to get a good grip on it). Behind the black cover is a metal casing that is a little flat on two sides (and it larger in diameter than the black cover).

Any more tips would be appreciated.

Marc

Old 05-28-2007, 02:42 PM

the black cover should pull off and expose the area use a mirror to locate it because its meant to be out of sight on the top of the barrel

Old 05-28-2007, 04:35 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the assistance so far.

I just can't get that black cover off. I've tried everything but I can't get a strong enough grip on it. I tried vise grips and only end up striping the black paint off the cover. I tried putting some rubber grips and the vise grips and still no luck. This cover is tapered (the wide part at the back and the small part at the front). I also tried pliers to grab the front lip and pry it out, but it doesn't come off.

I've attached two photos so you can see what I'm looking at?

[IMG]local://upfiles/35797/B54ADDAF3F3B4437AFD14D98492B081A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/35797/9F2ED2F62ABB483DAF8E3A4854F4D526.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: How to replace Ignition Lock Cylinder on 1996 Cabriolet