How to replace Ignition Lock Cylinder on 1996 Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 09:05 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Ignition Tumblers

you might need to get the whole thing out or remove the dash panel ...... and how bad do you rally need the ignition key .... tnstall a hidden kill switch somewhere and by pas the ignition tumbler .... like newer cars with smar keys just put a **** in there

Old 05-30-2007, 05:35 PM
1st Gear

My copy of the ignition cylinder from my Bentleys1994-1998 Audi Cabriolet does not show the same picture as Avant80@2.6 shows. His way would beeasier, but having been in there replacing the ignition switch, I did not see what his picture shows on my '95Cab.Doesn't mean his is wrong, just maybe different models for different countries - Cab was sold past '98 in the UK, I believe. Here's a start. Take the plastic covers off that surround the steering column. Remove the two screws holding in the instrument cluster. Gently pull the instrument cluster out and look in at the switch and lock cylinder so you can get a feel for this job.

[IMG]local://upfiles/18961/894FB44BBD6E4151AADB95B3EE5AE0B9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-13-2007, 06:33 PM
1st Gear

Guys. I wanted to thank you for all the great advice. After I sprayed it with the lithium grease, everything was back to normal, except that once in a while, I had to push on the ignition to get it to pop out and shut off the accesories.

This worked well until yesterday, when my sister in law drove the car home and came in and told me that none of the electrical stuff was working (no turn signals, no lights etc..) and that she couldn't get the key out at all. So I went to see what was going on. Again I had a hard time but did manage to get the key out. Then I tried starting the car and it did, and I was shocked when the key did not spring back one position and the starter was still engaged (it sounded horrible), and then she mentioned that it did sound pretty bad on the way home (she drove 5 miles with the starter engaged!!!!). Luckly it was still working.

So I called my local dealer and they said there was no recall for my car, so I called Audi of America Customer Service and they looked into it and told me that the recall service had already been performed 11 years ago and that they would not recall the part a second time, thus I would have to pay for the full repair. I pleaded with them, as this was a know issue 11 years ago, but they would have nothing to do with it. I would have to pay to have it repaired.

While I know the car is 11 years old, I would have hoped to have a little more support on a known problem and maybe have been offered something, but they stood their ground firmly and refused, and refused and refused.

So, I'll me taking the car to my usual service garage that services my BMW and Acura also (with reasonable service charges), and never go back to Audi again. That's to bad as I like some of their cars.

I just wanted to post this so others know what to expect. I saw another similar post with similar results (except that poor guy did fry his started and also had to pay for a new starter, I guess I was lucky).

Old 06-14-2007, 01:21 AM
2nd Gear

where you take your car for service is up to you and as far as the recall stuff goes 11 years is a long time adn things do break .... if the fixed it 11 years ago then if you fix it now you'll be set fo another 11 years