replacing front struts

Old 05-27-2007, 08:35 AM
1st Gear
Default replacing front struts

Hey guys have a strut related question, I'm trying to replace the front struts on the 90, and I'm having a hard time doing it, i get as far as removing the sway bar bolts. I'm running into problems with the tie rod, there's a single bolt in there, i can get the nut off without a problem and i have a pickle fork, but that darn thing will not budge, we've tried loosening the upper strut under the hood and compressing it to see if it would push itself out, but it just wont budge no matter how much force we put into it, we already managed to mess up the top of the bolt itself so we had to cut it a couple of threads down but this is getting annoying, i would rather do it myself than have a shop charge me 350 bucks to do it, Anyways long story short, just wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestions how to seperate the tie rod..

Old 05-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Default RE: replacing front struts

Tie the nut back, dont use the fork. then after you tightened, then try to untighten it. if you use the fork, you gona take off the tie rod out of its grove, then noting would be holding the end of it to take the bold out. lube the thread with WD40 to ease the pain. If the tie rod keeps turning, you might have to use a cutter, to cut it off, and replace the tie rod.

I dont remember exact, but I belive you can tighten it, then use a torch to heat it up to red color, then use couple of drips of water to cool the outside the tie rod mating point, and then try to unscrew the tie rod nut. but then you will still have to replace it with new tie rod end.

for the top, there are 3 nuts holding the thing in, the middle one holds the whole thing together, you need a spring compresor to safelly remove the strut insert. if you untigh the center bolt, expect the spring to fly to the moon without spring compresor.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:11 PM
1st Gear

So, i noticed the tie rod end coming from the engine bay is threaded, is that little piece that sticks out with the bolt able to come off completly? because i've just been trying to seperate the tie rod and the strut mount since the bolt comes up and you have to wedge the fork between them, but haven't had any luck as of yet.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:18 PM

you can disconect from the engine bay, still be pain in the ***. you have to disconect the rod end from the C chanell.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:09 PM
2nd Gear

wd40 and a big hammer or 2 actually ... don't band the nut or threads .... kinda smack it between 2 hammers .... or an air chisle will help

Old 06-02-2007, 01:06 PM
1st Gear

knock **** out of it untill it comes out then buy another track rod end or tie rod as you load of foreigners call em 1 bolt at top of strut loosen with ring spanner and allen key in the middle, loosen two large bolts attaching strut to hub and whole leg will come out in one