Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

2004 2.5tdi allroad list of problems I'm suffering

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 07:41 AM
1st Gear

Thanks I'll take a look!

Took the car to a garage today and as soon as he heard the car running he said it sounds awful and my timing could be out, plugged in his machine and my injectors were all over the place and said the likely hood is most of my oil leak is in fact probably diesel and that would explain my smoke on the morning as the car is trying to inject diesel before its fired.

Since I recently had my cambelt water pump and thermostat done at another garage he said visually check my timing markings and take it back to the garage for them to fix.

Seems I may have a solution to my problem as the car didn't have a rough idle and stall until I had he cambelt done! Bloody Cowboys!

Old 03-01-2016, 08:34 AM
1st Gear

Oh just a quick one, is there a way for me to check the timing without having to get the front end off?

Cheers !

Old 03-02-2016, 06:35 AM
1st Gear

Went back to the garage that did my timing belt and theyre going to strip it and sort it out next week while I'm away with work, hopefully that will sort a lot of my problems out and make my engine run smoother

Old 03-02-2016, 08:25 PM
1st Gear

Sorry, I have no knowledge about diesel's. Good luck.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:16 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for your help doc!

I will update well after next when I get my car back and see if the timing issue is resolved !

Old 03-09-2016, 01:47 PM
1st Gear

It will most likely be the valve cover leaking, it is not a gasket but a sealant used so if its been removed and refitted without the sealant it will leak

the rough idle will likely be the fuel timing, you must set the injection pump timing with VCDS diagnostic software, simply marking the teeth and/or using locking tools is not good enough, the timing is adjusted with the engine warm and running, its a good chance it is this if the garage only used locking tools to set timing.

let us know how you get on

regards

Andy

Old 03-16-2016, 06:38 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for your response Andy, I have ordered a vag com which should be arriving In a few days so I can get to work on some of the issues.

Car is in the garage to get the timing sorted, had a phone call yesterday for me to "come and have a look at something"

Major oil leak at the cam seal? Pissing oil all over the timing belt and being sprayed everywhere so my no charge correction of timing is now a £400 seal repair and new timing belt!!

Still need to sort out the cv joints ( hopefully a boot repair) new discs and pads and the passenger door lock to fix for its MOT due in a few days. This car is costing me a fortune! Hoping that once these things are done that's it, apart from other irritating problems that are bound to pop up.

Such a shame these cars are heavy on maintenance as they're such nice cars

Old 03-17-2016, 04:32 PM
1st Gear

if oil is being forced out, change the oil breather which is in the centre of the engine, common on the old AKE engines for the breather to block forcing oil out

regards

Andy

Old 03-19-2016, 08:44 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bagpipingandy
if oil is being forced out, change the oil breather which is in the centre of the engine, common on the old AKE engines for the breather to block forcing oil out

regards

Andy
Cheers Andy, I'm not sure if I would say it's being forced but its leaking enough to see a drop on the underside of the car and coat the front of the engine and timing belt!

Is the breather something that would be easily accessible without putting it in service position? Would I need to change e breather? Probably worth mentioning it to the garage while they still have it in and doing the work.

I just want to know what I'm talking about so they don't try to screw any more money out of me

Old 03-19-2016, 08:57 AM
1st Gear

Ps.

When a trusted mechanic looked at the engine he said my overflow pipes were leaking oil, would this be a symptom of a blocked breather?

Thanks again

Quick Reply: 2004 2.5tdi allroad list of problems I'm suffering