Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

Allroad Suspension Won't Rise, but compressor runs.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 02:10 PM
1st Gear
Default Allroad Suspension Won't Rise, but compressor runs.

I am an IGNORANT NOOD!
My 2001 Allroad air suspension is not working. It appears to be "bottomed-out" almost sitting on front tires, and really low in the rear. When I start the car, the compressor runs for about 1 minute, but the car doeasn't rise at all.
The air-suspension light flashes (Yellow car symbol w/ up and down arrows). I am at a total loss as to what the problem could be, because I can clearly hear the aircompressor running when I start the car, but it doesn't raise, or move up at all. ZERO UPWARD MOVEMENT!
As an Audi NOOB, I am basically clueless, having owned this car for literally, 3 days. I do have mechanical experience with German cars having owned a B5 Passat for 10 years. I've changed timing belts on the VW 2.8, rebuilt the entire suspension on the Passat B5, but this problem with the Allroad air suspension has me stumped!
Any help would be much appreciated as I do not have the funds, now, to take to the stealership!!Thanks!

Old 12-16-2010, 12:00 PM
2nd Gear

i think it wasnt unusual for the airbags to develop leaks over time. i wouldnt be surprised if your car has this issue.im pretty sure theres more than a couple threads about this in the allroad section. search around in there for a little bit and im sure youll find some tips

Old 12-17-2010, 12:55 PM
1st Gear

Ilackav8, thank you for your reply. I have searched the Allroad section, which is full of excellent advise. But, my problem seems a bit beyond the scope of what is available in the search. E.g., If it were my air-bellows leaking, wouldn't I see at least some movement upward, while the compressor is running? I checked and the compressor is pumping air at high pressure. I would think that, even with a severe leak, there would be some inflation of one, if not all, bellows. Also, I disconnected the airlines to all 4 airsprings and used my air compressor with a rubber tip fitting, to apply air pressure to each airspring. Each one of the airsprings inflated and lifted the respective side. I am confused!

Old 12-02-2013, 02:11 PM
1st Gear

Did you ever find your problem. My son's car is doing the same thing . I have basically done the same thing you have and am lost.Can you help ?

Old 12-03-2013, 08:00 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mazoo6809
Did you ever find your problem. My son's car is doing the same thing . I have basically done the same thing you have and am lost.Can you help ?
If it doesnt move at all, nothing not a bit (check using a tape measure against the wheel arch

what does the error light do, flash or on solid?
check the compressor is definetely running and check the air output, is it strong? plenty air
then check you have no gaping holes in any airbags, if you want as above post check you can fill each corner individually (to prove they lift)
if the above rings true and working, then it looks like a potential sticking valve in the valve block

regards

Andy

Old 12-04-2013, 08:11 AM
1st Gear
Default air ride

I measures and the front is lower but it bottomed out and measures lower than the rear.The light flashes untill the compressor shuts off then the light is on solid. I pulled the air supply line from the air compressor and ran the compressor and there did not seem to me to be enough air coming out of it. I could hold my finger over the end of the fitting and of course the compressor would change tune but i didn't think with a strong compressor i would be able to do that. I really didn't want to gamble on the comp when it is $580 dollars

Last edited by mazoo6809; 12-04-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:53 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mazoo6809
I measures and the front is lower but it bottomed out and measures lower than the rear.The light flashes untill the compressor shuts off then the light is on solid. I pulled the air supply line from the air compressor and ran the compressor and there did not seem to me to be enough air coming out of it. I could hold my finger over the end of the fitting and of course the compressor would change tune but i didn't think with a strong compressor i would be able to do that. I really didn't want to gamble on the comp when it is $580 dollars
okay your compressor is weak, you can use this to fix it:
bagpipingandy | eBay

better than a new pump. This will get it lifting but you still have a leak if it sinks to the bump stops again.

regards

andy

Old 01-04-2014, 04:16 PM
1st Gear
Default Allroad Suspension Won't Rise, but compressor runs

Hello Bagpipin' Andy. I bought the kit from you and rebuilt my pump and that was good for one day. Compressor output was great and rise time short. Day two I was back with failure to rise in front, blinking warning light until compressor stopped (about 2 Min) then solid warning light. Compressor now sounds louder. I think something popped off and will check , right front bag was replaced with Arnott about a year ago. Left front has had the " fix a flat fix". Is it possible the left front bag has such a large hole now that no lift will occur? I'm on the bump stops on the front.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:48 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by corcorand
Hello Bagpipin' Andy. I bought the kit from you and rebuilt my pump and that was good for one day. Compressor output was great and rise time short. Day two I was back with failure to rise in front, blinking warning light until compressor stopped (about 2 Min) then solid warning light. Compressor now sounds louder. I think something popped off and will check , right front bag was replaced with Arnott about a year ago. Left front has had the " fix a flat fix". Is it possible the left front bag has such a large hole now that no lift will occur? I'm on the bump stops on the front.
hi, when you say the front fails to rise i assume it is low and on the bump stops, if so this is probably a leak which may be to large for the compressor, or your level sensor had came off or faulty, you need to inspect the airbags on the front, and check level sensors are attached, also you say it is noisier, best to inspect the compressor also to make sure the bolts and airlines are all still connected up ok, it should still lift a small leak, but ultimately you have a leak and you need to fix it, any sinking at all is a leak.

best regards

andy

Old 01-06-2014, 05:10 PM
1st Gear
Default read my lips

Yes, Andy I said I was on the bump stops on the front. I also said the installation of the compressor rebuild kit was fine but only performed correctly for one day, successfully raising all 4 corners to level 2 , 3, 4 .Now compressor runs for approx 2 min whilst the lights blink , suspension fails to rise , then compressor turns off and solid warning light come on. Not sure what happened in the interim but on day 1 compressor sounded smooth and quiet, now sounds loud. We have 18 in of snow and wind chill of minus 20 so I'm not crawling under car today. But I think the little piece of plastic tubing came loose and is blowing air into space instead of to the 4 corners. I have had this car for 7 years and only recently did I notice that on occasion there is a sudden, audible expulsion of air in a great woosh sometimes when the car is just sitting. Is that a normal occurance?
When that has occurred there was no change in car level.

Quick Reply: Allroad Suspension Won't Rise, but compressor runs.