Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

Allroad Suspension Won't Rise, but compressor runs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 07:47 AM
1st Gear

Hi

It is normal for the car to expell air once parked and switched off, it will do this to lower any corner or the rear corners if it was loaded up and you remove the weight, it sounds like a whoose of air for a few seconds

but if this air noise was when the compressor was running it would make me think the airline has blew off, although it would not work again or fix itself without you re-attaching the air line??

what is the noise, a rumble/clatter or air noise? I would check the airline, if the compressor runs but hisses it could be possible the airline is leaking/came off, affraid it needs a look to see if there is anything obvious 1st

regards

Andy

Old 01-07-2014, 11:53 AM
1st Gear

well, that's what I thought the woosh was normal but it always came at odd times fo example like when the car had been sitting overnight and I walked in to the garage and opened the door. Still gotta wait until it warms up a bit before I crawl under and see if an airline has indeed come loose or off. I will let every one know what I find. Andy, the noise of the compressor is more like a clatter, where on the first day after rebuild it was smooth and more like a hum.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:48 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by corcorand
well, that's what I thought the woosh was normal but it always came at odd times fo example like when the car had been sitting overnight and I walked in to the garage and opened the door. Still gotta wait until it warms up a bit before I crawl under and see if an airline has indeed come loose or off. I will let every one know what I find. Andy, the noise of the compressor is more like a clatter, where on the first day after rebuild it was smooth and more like a hum.
whoose noise is ok it can do this when you unlock it, it will wake up and adjust itself, but the new clatter noise doesnt sound good, report back what you find.

regards

Andy

Old 01-20-2014, 10:37 AM
1st Gear

OK, got a break in the weather and got car up on a hoist. Compressor was running but pumping NO air following one day of successful rebuild with bagpipingandy's rebuild kit. Upon dis-assembly discovered the replacement piston ring did not last and severely scoured the cylinder. Pump is toast .Ordered an new one on ebay for $357 inc free shipping and ordered a new airbag from Arnotte. Does anyone have a current valid discount code for Arnotte?

Old 01-21-2014, 01:59 PM
1st Gear

hi,

That's not so good, sorry this has happened for you, Did you fit the new ring with the compressor left on the car? the cylinder must be clean before re-fitting, any debris in there will ruin the cylinder and the ring, the ring will not score the cylinder on its own.

also as a double check best to make sure the air intake filter is healthy and fitted ok with no holes in it before you fit a new compressor or it could go the same, if it is not filtered it can draw in dirt, the filter is in the boot space in the spare wheel well, there should be a hose going from it to the compressor inlet,

best regards

Andy

Old 01-22-2014, 11:24 AM
1st Gear

Don't mis-understand, no disrespect to bagpipingandy, I'm just saying the kit didn't work for me. well, it worked for one day , then total failure and yes the cylinder was already scoured when the kit was installed. If you buy an Arnott air bag don't forget to look on ebay. After I paid Arnott full price I found one on ebay for $250

Old 01-23-2014, 07:54 AM
1st Gear

Don't mis-understand, no disrespect to bagpipingandy, I'm just saying the kit didn't work for me. well, it worked for one day , then total failure and yes the cylinder was already scoured when the kit was installed. If you buy an Arnott air bag don't forget to look on ebay. After I paid Arnott full price I found one on ebay for $250
No none taken all good here,

best to check that air intake is working with no breaks in case the new one draws in dirt too, this would be the no 1 reason for a scored cylinder!!,

good tip with the ebay also i see good deals on their regularly for arnott parts,

best regards

Andy

Old 02-16-2014, 11:52 AM
1st Gear

Next point of failure after Arnott bag install would be the valve distribution block....a minimum $500/used part. That alone woul compel me to go coilovers....or ditch the allroad.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:34 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bagpipingandy
hi,

That's not so good, sorry this has happened for you, Did you fit the new ring with the compressor left on the car? the cylinder must be clean before re-fitting, any debris in there will ruin the cylinder and the ring, the ring will not score the cylinder on its own.

also as a double check best to make sure the air intake filter is healthy and fitted ok with no holes in it before you fit a new compressor or it could go the same, if it is not filtered it can draw in dirt, the filter is in the boot space in the spare wheel well, there should be a hose going from it to the compressor inlet,

best regards

Andy
Hello, everyone, I hope you can help me:

My car's air suspension was working ok until yesterday. It was overheating so I had a mechanic come to my place and he and his aide were checking the car's water lines to see if it could be a thermostat problem, putting their weight on the front of the car from time to time. It was less than 10 minutes and I was there the whole time, then when I turned off the car I could hear a big WHOOOSHHHH coming from the front.

At first I thought I had a leak on my front left airbag, since that's where the big Whoosshh could be heard, but didn't understand how such a big leak could have formed just like that when the car was fine 10 minutes ago.

Then I noticed the car wasn't leaning to the left side, but instead it was leveled. In january I had the front right airbag replaced with an Arnott as it had a leak, but in that occasion the car would be leaning to the right. On that occasion I also had both of my front bushings changed and the mechanic removed the left airbag to inspect it then refitted it as it didn't have any leaks. So it ocurred to me that maybe the problem wasn't a leak on the left airbag but somehow, as the mechanics put their weight on the front of the car to check the engine, the pressure made something on the air line disconnect? Does that make sense?

Then, there's the light that turns on on the dashboard. It is behaving just as Corcoran says: first, it blinks for about 1 or 2 minutes, then the light stays on. The car doesn't move a bit. I did this with the car's engine turned off and I lay down on the front trying to hear the compressor and the leak on the front, but all I heard was a compressor-like sound coming from the REAR of the car, so I went to the rear and the rear didn't raise. When the compressor-like sound stopped on the rear, I could hear a small Whooosh on the front. I couldn't detect where exactly it came from because it wasn't strong but I think I felt a very little current of air in my fingers when I put my hand behind the front left tyre.

Does all this make sense? Do you think the guy who changed my right airbag and inspected the left one in January could have left something badly connected? How can I check that? If I had the line disconnected would it make my dash light act like this?

@Bagpipingandy: regarding your repair kit, could you tell me how much would the postage be to Guatemala?

Thank you so much for your thoughts and sorry for my bad English!

Old 03-28-2014, 10:20 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by svsanchez
Hello, everyone, I hope you can help me:

My car's air suspension was working ok until yesterday. It was overheating so I had a mechanic come to my place and he and his aide were checking the car's water lines to see if it could be a thermostat problem, putting their weight on the front of the car from time to time. It was less than 10 minutes and I was there the whole time, then when I turned off the car I could hear a big WHOOOSHHHH coming from the front.

At first I thought I had a leak on my front left airbag, since that's where the big Whoosshh could be heard, but didn't understand how such a big leak could have formed just like that when the car was fine 10 minutes ago.

Then I noticed the car wasn't leaning to the left side, but instead it was leveled. In january I had the front right airbag replaced with an Arnott as it had a leak, but in that occasion the car would be leaning to the right. On that occasion I also had both of my front bushings changed and the mechanic removed the left airbag to inspect it then refitted it as it didn't have any leaks. So it ocurred to me that maybe the problem wasn't a leak on the left airbag but somehow, as the mechanics put their weight on the front of the car to check the engine, the pressure made something on the air line disconnect? Does that make sense?

Then, there's the light that turns on on the dashboard. It is behaving just as Corcoran says: first, it blinks for about 1 or 2 minutes, then the light stays on. The car doesn't move a bit. I did this with the car's engine turned off and I lay down on the front trying to hear the compressor and the leak on the front, but all I heard was a compressor-like sound coming from the REAR of the car, so I went to the rear and the rear didn't raise. When the compressor-like sound stopped on the rear, I could hear a small Whooosh on the front. I couldn't detect where exactly it came from because it wasn't strong but I think I felt a very little current of air in my fingers when I put my hand behind the front left tyre.

Does all this make sense? Do you think the guy who changed my right airbag and inspected the left one in January could have left something badly connected? How can I check that? If I had the line disconnected would it make my dash light act like this?

@Bagpipingandy: regarding your repair kit, could you tell me how much would the postage be to Guatemala?

Thank you so much for your thoughts and sorry for my bad English!
Hi,

ok lots of questions to help us understand more:

does the car still sit ok at level 1 or is it lower and on the bump stops at the front or back?

you say the light flashes for 1-2mins then the error light comes on, what light is flashing? the level 1 or 2 green light? or the yellow suspension error light?

it sounds like the compressor is running ok during this 1-2 mins but the car does not move or very little, did it do this before the garage man looked at it or was it working lifting perfectly?

please answer the individual questions above so we can narrow down what could be wrong.

shipping my compressor repair kit normal airmail postage is £4GBP to Guatemala,

but 1st lets diagnose what is wrong before changing anything.

regards

Andy

Quick Reply: Allroad Suspension Won't Rise, but compressor runs.