Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

Audi allroad air ride suspension elimination kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 09:55 PM
1st Gear

Seeing as it happened right after a dip, check to be sure both front height sensor linkages are hooked to the lower control arms. If one came off when the suspension was extended, the system will vent to try and "level" the vehicle.

I doubt it's an air leak. Unless it's a heck of a hole it wouldn't drop that fast, plus you'd hear the compressor running until the thermal switch shuts it down.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:11 PM
1st Gear

Where is this 10mm fitting located? Behind the tire or on top in the engine compartment. Pics would be wonderful if someone has a minute and a phone.

Thanks in advance, Im about to tackle this on my 2001 Allroads front right side and want to be fully prepared. I will post pics in the process to help the future members feel more confident.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:53 AM
1st Gear

Go to this page and download the manual, http://www.arnottindustries.com/part...17_pid124.html

However its located at the top of the bag (behind the tire) where the air hose leads to.

good luck.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:25 PM
1st Gear
Default still life after injecting fix-a-flat - any ideas

Folks,
After a few weeks success with the fix-a-flat it started to sag again and I kept the car at level 3 where it seemed to be fine for several weeks before trying again...I rekoned I hadnt injected enough goop when doing it the first time and went back to inject more today.
After injecting the remainder of the fix-a-flat I re-connected the air hoses and started the engine but I'm seeing nothing happen. The air compressor is not starting and the front of the car is firmly sitting on the jack stands. It seemed to be OK earlier in the day when I tested it, lowering to level 2 and back to level 3 before starting work.

Has anyone any ideas? Has the compressor had it? or the compressor fuse (Ive seen mentioned on the forums) maybe?
Any suggestions would be great..

Old 08-29-2010, 09:21 AM
1st Gear

It sounds like (since there isn't any) that the compressor has burned up, but of course ck the fuses first. The other option is the process of putting more goop in the bag the compressor may have overheated and shutdown. If its still isn't working then its time to get a new compressor and bags. I put a 10% coupon on this thread so if you have the cash replace both bags and the compressor and you'll save almost $100.00.

If you're a sharp guy, and why wouldn't you be since your drive an Audi, you can repair all of this for $1k which is what it would cost if you took it to a dealer to repair one bag.

Good Luck.

Last edited by AustinGuy; 08-29-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:38 PM
1st Gear

Shamfeen, one thing I forgot to inquire, did you reattach the air lines? You'd be surprised to find out how many actually forget to do this.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:50 PM
1st Gear
Default Update on still life

Thanks for the feedback guys. I did re-attach the air lines to the bags. I wish it was that simple..
I also thought the comp may have shut down from over heating so I tried after a couple of hrs with no joy...

thanks for the coupon. I'll work with my local mechanic to see what we need to do.. it wont be possible to tow the car anywhere and its stuck on the jack stands. My mechanic will laugh himself silly at my story...

Old 08-29-2010, 07:36 PM
1st Gear

I hate to give what could be bad info, but here is a comment.

If your computer senses an overheated air pump.. it can take a while to clear.

On my wife's car, after I added the Slime and reconnected it wasn't working. I expected this and immediately took it on the highway where it would get a lot of suspension movement to help out. It started working fairly quick and I was able to adjust to all levels. It might be that simply taking it out where you get plenty of movement will help. I admit that I HATED driving it with the front suspension on the stops. I remembered what I felt like in my first ever car, a 49 Ford Business Coupe. For $12.00 I got a local shop to cut several coils on the front suspension, giving it that "cool rake" and pretty much ruining the ride.. that is what my wife's allroad felt, and looked like. I felt like I should be 40 years younger with an oversize baseball cap worn very sideways. Thankfully, it didn't remain that way for long.

still holding up

JR

Old 08-31-2010, 01:09 AM
1st Gear

Folks,
Thanks for the guidance JR and Austinguy. I'm back in business .. for now. I took JR's advice and lowered the car onto the wheels and removed the jacks, reversed it out the drive and tried.. one more time to see if the compressor would come to life. It didnt. I called AAA to get it towed to my repair shop having. One final time I tried and pressed the Raise and Lower buttons and held them for several seconds, as if by magic the compressor started and pumped the car to its normal level. Somewhere along the way the air ride control system was disabled (or turned off) and being a lucky Irish man I managed to turn it back on...

I found this great Guide as well (afterward) which explains this operation
http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_243.pdf

I've ordered the Arnott Gen II air springs and hope this solves my problems.
In the morning I'll know if the extra fix-a-flat goop made any difference.

The Warning lamp which has been staying on for the last 3-4 weeks is still staying on, suggesting there is an error still somewhere in the air ride system

Old 08-31-2010, 01:16 AM
1st Gear

Also, forgot to mention the other alarm signal which is has been staying on for several weeks.. "the headlamp range control system". On p. 30, 31 of the guide SSP_243.pdf you see this is controlled in the J197, the Air Suspension Control unit.

Now I'm worried. My new Air springs wont solve this issue..

Quick Reply: Audi allroad air ride suspension elimination kit