Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

Considering '04 allroad and I have Pre-purchase questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 10:05 PM
1st Gear

Photos of the car...

Attached Thumbnails Considering '04 allroad and I have Pre-purchase questions-img_4916.jpg  
Old 08-27-2014, 10:10 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by DOC ODDY
I am also a new owner of an "04 allroad 4.2LV8, 95K miles.

I recently rebuilt my compressor with no trouble with a kit from ebay and "bagpipingandy". Works like new now.

Otherwise you will find the typical Audi issues, oil leaks, etc. All are fixable and just require more $$.

I'm very pleased with the allroad, good luck.
69K miles is VERY low miles, good find.

Is it a 2.7 twin turbo or a 4.2 V8?

Hey I am interested on how this fix went...Also do you have or know of a DIY i can follow, mine is a bit loud and Id love to fix her up.

Thanks,

Old 08-27-2014, 11:14 PM
1st Gear

innov8;

That's a real beauty!!

Sounds like the suspension is in excellent shape.

You will have to do some small amount of work, but depending on the price you've got a winner there.
I hope you're saving that one for yourself and letting the kid drive a beater!

There must be some decent independent mechanics there with VW or Audi experience. It might be worth a few hundred to get a vag-com cable and download the software and keep track of it all yourself.

Lucky kid!

Old 08-27-2014, 11:22 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by torturebori
Hey I am interested on how this fix went...Also do you have or know of a DIY i can follow, mine is a bit loud and Id love to fix her up.

Thanks,
Try these video's, very self explanatory.
Check ebay for the kit from bagpipingandy.
Takes a while to unhook the compressor and remove,
only 5 minutes for the rebuild,
easily goes back together.

I put mine on #4, locked it down by holding the up & down buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds until they both light,
then backed it up on some steel ramps and chocked the front wheels.

TC

Old 08-28-2014, 07:54 AM
1st Gear

OK. Did lots of further research last night on this forums and a few of the others... searching "air bag faults" was a better result.

I learned about the Audi-approved (tech bulletin) for fixing the connectors under the seats... Cutting the connector out and jumping the wires with butt joints (not solder becuase it changes the resistence of the connections and the airbags are very sensitive circuits). This seemed to be the lions share of the DIY fixes that I could find on the net. Does anyone have experience with this fix?

Also, I'll be picking up the VAGCOM tool as recommended above. Is there a particular model that is considered good-value, rich in features? Thanks again for all you comments.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:29 PM
1st Gear

I suggest getting the vag-com directly from Ross-Tech the original maker.

Their website can direct you.

I have the Hex+Can/usb connector from Ross-tech and it has been worth every penny.

Once you get the connector you can download the full vag-com version from the internet. The connector apparently has a chip in it that verifies and allows you to use the software. Very easy to use and seems to work on any Audi/VW.

TC

Old 08-28-2014, 07:18 PM
1st Gear

This is the one I am getting ready to order.

EuropaParts.com: VAG-COM Diagnostic Tool with HEX-USB+CAN Interface

And I am also ordering that repair kit for the compressor.
I hope thats it as now only the two front bags do not inflate, the rears are at level 2. So I hope its a easy fix

Old 08-28-2014, 11:56 PM
1st Gear

OK. I bought the Allroad. 2004, 69k with clean body and interior, extensive history/records showing regular maintenance and care... same shop every time. Was able to negotiate an excellent price: $5,200.00 The only down side is I need to vet the AIRBAG fault to kill the light on the dash. Thanks for the help with inspecting the car. I'm thrilled and it was a joy to drive home 51 miles. Handled great, no rattles or squeaks. No surprises so far.

The VAG-COM tool is a problem. We are a MAS OS family so we don'y even own a PC that runs windows. I'll search there site to see if it works with MAC OS but I'm guessing it wont. I've also seen the hand-held units at my Mech shop. It looks allot like the small units that the sales clerks at Auto Zone plug into your car and print out the faults in a receipt tape. I'll probably visit the local auto zone tomorrow, just to see if they can grab the code for me.

Pictures to follow tomorrow. Thank you again.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:47 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by innov8
OK. I bought the Allroad. 2004, 69k with clean body and interior, extensive history/records showing regular maintenance and care... same shop every time. Was able to negotiate an excellent price: $5,200.00 The only down side is I need to vet the AIRBAG fault to kill the light on the dash. Thanks for the help with inspecting the car. I'm thrilled and it was a joy to drive home 51 miles. Handled great, no rattles or squeaks. No surprises so far.

The VAG-COM tool is a problem. We are a MAS OS family so we don'y even own a PC that runs windows. I'll search there site to see if it works with MAC OS but I'm guessing it wont. I've also seen the hand-held units at my Mech shop. It looks allot like the small units that the sales clerks at Auto Zone plug into your car and print out the faults in a receipt tape. I'll probably visit the local auto zone tomorrow, just to see if they can grab the code for me.

Pictures to follow tomorrow. Thank you again.
Great deal on the car...And a small small lap top cost like $150.00 - 200.00 dollars. I just bought one just for this purpose. and I ordered the VAG COM too. On its way to me. But please report back if it runs on MAC OS as I am a MAC guy as well.

this is the one I ordered

http://www.europaparts.com/vag-com-d...ross-tech.html

Keep sharing finds and anything big or small with the car as we can all gain from one another's adventures

Last edited by torturebori; 08-29-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:51 PM
1st Gear

No luck finding the VAG COM that runs on a MAC OS. Now looking at the options for cheap lap tops. The Ross-Tech cables seem to offer all the functionality that one might need along with open updates to the support software but for a 10 year old car, it is hard to justify the combined purchase of $350 for the cable, $150-200 for a single-purpose Windows laptop and then he shop manual $100-150(?) on DVD (also needs to be on Windows!) = totals nearly 20% of the cost of the car.

My question for anyone with first person knowledge, how much can you do with the cheap cables on ebay ($20-30) and the $99 "Lite" software from Ross-Tech that will run on them? In my case, I need to figure out the fault for the Airbag light that is on my dash... BTW, I did try the Auto Zone visit but they only use ODB readers that only check the emissions codes for the check engine light. Those scanners can read and reset but they don't talk to the other systems in a VW or Audi.

Thank you for your help.

Quick Reply: Considering '04 allroad and I have Pre-purchase questions