Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

Failing Allroads Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by incrementalg
how did you determine your car is worth $7,600? My wife and i have decided to buy used rides from now on. Let someone else take the hit on depreciation.
+1

/

Old 01-10-2009, 04:16 AM

^ Don't have my ar anymore so you guys can have fun dealing with this clown

Old 01-10-2009, 01:29 PM

Wow - my 2004 has been one of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned. 60k and perfect. There are a lot of Allroads around where I live and everyone I have talked to has loved their car. That being said, any car line has it's lemons. I also have several Volvos, including an XC90, and I hear nothing but bad thing about them on the forums. Both of the cars (one has 247k, the other 70k) have been flawless.

It may also be that you had bad luck buying a used car. I only buy used (usually around 30k miles with 1 owner) and go over the car and owner receipts with a fine toothed comb before I buy. If the owner doesn't have the receipts you can always go to a dealer with the VIN and they can give you everything they have. They should have a record of any Audi dealer-provided service and are always nice enough to print it out.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:36 AM
1st Gear

Ah ... but mine was also mechanically perfect through 60k. The torque converter light came on at 70k. The CV boot was detected at that time, as well. The belts are due at ... yep ... 70-75k. The air suspension gave it up at around 80k. So don't worry ... you have plenty of time to enjoy these issues.

ps: I have all my receipts, but it didn't seem to help!

Old 01-11-2009, 09:23 AM
1st Gear

120k and only 1 airbag gone bad.It's a somewhat easy fix thanks to Arnott.I've replaced both just to make sure.I can't complain.I got 97k out of my front brakes(rears replaced under warranty at 30k still going)I've had a couple cv boots replaced under warranty.I still have the original wipers in front

Old 01-11-2009, 10:56 AM

Maybe it's just me but much of this (other than the torque convertor) sounds like normal maintenance items. Timing belts, water pumps, brakes, etc. are nothing unexpected. Nothing short of a bicycle can overcome these kinds of maintenance.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:52 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mctavish11
^ Don't have my ar anymore so you guys can have fun dealing with this clown
I find your quote interesting at the bottom of your page " A3 after I finish college..." . This sums up quite a bit of all the crap you read about allroads falling apart. What is a kid in college or even younger doing driving a high perf. german car! Could you really afford to maintain any car while in college, I know I couldn't. I suspect that many of the problem cars come from kids who found a good deal on an o.k. car then hammered it ( I know I did with my saab turbos). Other problem cars seem to come from guys who have $$ but no clue of normal wear and tear vs things braking. Belts, brakes, head gaskets, pulleys, cv joints, tie rod ends, shocks, struts, ball joints ALL wear out. So the air bags go at 80000 miles, so do shocks and struts in most cars, only difference is your changing the "spring" with the strut whereas most cars don't need new springs. I sure I am off on some points but pretty on with others. Cars break no matter what, maybe allroads more than others but it seems like there are alot of young kids buying a 2nd hand car too big for their wallets or technical skills, there are exceptions to rules, if you just got a lemon then this is not geared towards you.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:55 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by tbeaulieu
Ah ... but mine was also mechanically perfect through 60k. The torque converter light came on at 70k. The CV boot was detected at that time, as well. The belts are due at ... yep ... 70-75k. The air suspension gave it up at around 80k. So don't worry ... you have plenty of time to enjoy these issues.

ps: I have all my receipts, but it didn't seem to help!
Can you describe how well you maintained your car? any AT Fluid changes, stock ecu.... did you only have your car checked by audi. There is nothing you mentioned besides the torque conv. that is not normal wear and tear.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:31 PM

Right on, VtDriver. Cars cost money to maintain. When I was a college kid you were lucky to get a 10 year old Saab, Suburu, or Volvo - 3rd hand.

Funny - still have my ancient Volvo 18 years after I graduated. Runs like a champ after 200k with me taking car of it. No matter how many cars I own I can't give that one up.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:42 AM
1st Gear

Stock ECU? Nope. That died at 30k.

My problem isn't with the fact that stuff fails. It's with the cost of replacing it. It's irresponsible to manufacture a car that costs $2,000 to replace ... in your words... "normal wear and tear" items, such as shock absorbers. Arnott figured out how to reduce the price for a relatively simple spring by more than 50% and they sell 1/10000th the units that Audi does. Why should a single CV joint cost $900? Sure, it's normal wear and tear ... but you're telling me I should expect to pay $4,000 (inner and outer, left and right) as normal wear and tear? Why build a TC that costs $2,300 to replace a $3.00 seal that's highly likely - and expected - to fail?

If these items are normal wear and tear, why is my $48,000 vehicle left with a trade-in value of $7,600 after 80,000 miles? That's not how to build a loyal customer base.

Quick Reply: Failing Allroads Support Group