Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

New owner - moer questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Default New owner - moer questions

Just picked up an '04 allroad with approx 39k miles on it.

I have some terminology questions.

What's the platform? I see references to B5, etc. What platform is the '04?

I got a report of my VIN# and there's several instances of "removed + reinstalled". Is this a per-dealer thing (i.e. when the dealer performs the job, they can pretty much write anything there)?

The code for "Labor operation"... is that a general code, or again, dealer specific?

Is there a good place to look up parts codes? (e.g. 4Z9698507 or 4Z7616051D)

Radio codenames? I have "Symphony" written on the radio (as well as Bose). It has XM too. BUT, I have no nav or bluetooth. I've seen some various tutorials around, but no real explanation of the various monikers such as RNS-D, RNS-E, etc. I'm tempted to install an aftermarket system (say, from Crutchfield) but they don't even list kits for an allroad.

There are some buttons on the steering wheel (but since my wife's out in the car right now, I can't look to see how many or what they are right now).

I'm missing the rear cargo/luggage cover. Apart from trolling eBay to get one, any other suggestions?

Final question (for now): VAG-COM - any comments on this: http://www.alpha-bid.com/product222.html?

Old 09-04-2008, 05:25 PM

All allroads are platform A6, I'm not sure about the VIN# thing, sounds like dealer installed or replaced items, a Bently repair manual (which is the only repair manual for allroad) will be very helpful for parts descriptions and i think codes, somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, it's been awhile since I've look in mine. That Bently repair manual will run about $75-80 on Amazon books, that's the cheapest one I could find. I can't help on much on anything else with the radio issue, I issume you don't have the Symphony radio description manual. Somebody should chime in with some more info shortly on replacement parts and stuff like that. Have fun with the new ride.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:08 PM
1st Gear

you have symphony II
buttons on your wheel control volume next back seekff seekrr
RNS-D and RNS-E are both nav stereos

Old 09-05-2008, 01:39 AM

Thanks for that. Actually the buttons on my steering wheel (six buttons, 3 each side) do nothing. The vol up/down doesn't work. One of them has the phone symbol on it, but there's no obvious bluetooth setup. I do have the owner's manual so I'll continue to dig through that.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:18 PM

Me 2001 allroad is the same. 3 buttons per side of the airbag in the center of the steering wheel (excluding the shift buttons for tip)

I do not have bluetooth in mine either, so the phone button is just dead space, and on the other side i have an r/t button (switch between radio and phone) but again, dead space.

you say your volume doesnt work? i have a similar problem, but with my track buttons on the other side, they work, but every once in awhile i have to give them a good hard push to get them to do anything.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by TheBogeyMan
Is there a good place to look up parts codes? (e.g. 4Z9698507 or 4Z7616051D)

I'm missing the rear cargo/luggage cover. Apart from trolling eBay to get one, any other suggestions?
http://www.allroadfaq.com/intro.shtml

i dont know if this will help you out at all, or if you've already checked it out. but go to the Quick Links tab, and you can select both the allroad / a6 parts list, and there is also the accesory list. hopefully it helps.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:45 PM

Ok, so answered my own question with regards to platform... Yes, the allroad is based on an A6, but the actual platform is the C5.

The repair manuals can be found (as was previously mentioned above) here, direct from the publisher [Bentley Publishers]. To jump straight to the allroad/A6 section, use this link. The ISBN for the allroad repair manual (up to 2004) is: ISBN-10: 0-8376-1499-6 or ISBN-13: 978-0-8376-1499-1, and is available much cheaper @ amazon.com [link].

Old 09-06-2008, 11:16 PM

So, sorry for my ignorance, but this is fairly new to me, the allroad is built on the c5 platform. so does that mean it is called the c5 allroad quattro. since there was the c5 a6, s6, rs6, and allroad, all built from 1997-2004 correct?

Last edited by mctavish11; 09-06-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:17 AM
1st Gear

I don't think you'd call it a C5 allroad quattro given they were all built on the same platform. If there were prior allroads built on say a...C4 platform, then maybe you'd want to specify it as a C5.

A good example is the A4 lineup...The A4 has had several platforms...B5, B6, B7 and now B8. If you wanted to clarify exactly which A4 you or someone else owned, you'd do it by indicating the platform.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by incrementalg
I don't think you'd call it a C5 allroad quattro given they were all built on the same platform. If there were prior allroads built on say a...C4 platform, then maybe you'd want to specify it as a C5.

A good example is the A4 lineup...The A4 has had several platforms...B5, B6, B7 and now B8. If you wanted to clarify exactly which A4 you or someone else owned, you'd do it by indicating the platform.
Sweet, thanks for that. didnt the platfrom change though in 2005 to the c6? that's the only reason i was curious about the c5 thing. not that its that big of a deal, just wanted to make sure that if someday i wanna pretend i know what im talking about, i actually do know what im talking about haha

Last edited by mctavish11; 09-07-2008 at 01:17 PM.

Quick Reply: New owner - moer questions