Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

Popped radiator or WP?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 08:11 PM
1st Gear
Default Popped radiator or WP?

So I started my car this morning with -3F temps (it had sat outside all night). Let the car run for 15-20 mins then took off. I noticed the air was still cold, and initially no red flag went off (stupid). Went about a mile and the temp sensor went off as well as the oil sensor. I checked gauges and the coolant temp was high, the oil temp normal, at least for a 20 min run time. Pulled off and shut it down. A loud pop occurred and the steam began. I realized a few minutes before that the lack of heat was an issue, but then this all happened at the same time. Coolant leaked everywhere from the pass bottom of radiator area. I figured I had either popped a hose, blew a hose, or cracked the radiator cores, they are plastic after all.

Anyway, question is that after a bit of poking around, I noticed the timing belt cover is broken and that the center piece was in a couple shards. What does this mean? Possibly a water pump? I assume the 60/40 split of water to coolant did not help overnight, but frustrating nonetheless. I was truly hoping for it to just be a hose or radiator, but I am now worried it is a water pump. Car is a bit tight under hood as you know, and it is so cold still that I could not do too much disassembly on the street outside my house. Any ideas would help. I was going to get it to the garage to let it thaw overnight, then check with water tomorrow for the source of the leak. Any help would be appreciated.

2004 2.7T Allroad

Old 02-07-2014, 02:40 PM
1st Gear

Update. See pics, but I found the thermostat housing to be completely exploded. I cannot believe this thing is plastic. Built plenty of old school motors with aluminum housings, obviously times have changed. Anyway, curious if this is possible without a timing belt change.

I have seen some write ups about the belt and water pump installs, but never a tstat housing installation. I will obviously have to put the car in service position. Any help about this housing would be great. Also, the housing appears to come with a rubber gasket, is there sealant needed with this?

Old 02-09-2014, 07:28 PM
1st Gear

Looks like your timing belt tensioner is failing fix it and stop driving it before it jumps and your down an engine

Old 02-11-2014, 12:19 PM
1st Gear

How are you coming to this conclusion from the photos? There is still plenty of tension on the belt. In addition, the belt was done recently, 9mos, and the tensioner feels good. But still, I do not know where you are seeing this "problem." I am not being argumentative, just curious where you see the issue. Thanks.

Last edited by Clockel; 02-11-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:06 AM
1st Gear

The piece of your timing cover that you have removed with the hole being cut throw it makes me think the tension pulley is failing because it has enough play to hit the cover and in the other side of that spot it your thermostat housing witch is made of a plastic composite witch the timing belt is able to cut throw if its not being held true. If your a good DIY person take the front of the car off and inspect everything good it could be the water pump but no matter what its all coming back apart an engine is to expensive to chance

Old 02-16-2014, 11:13 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Clockel
Update. See pics, but I found the thermostat housing to be completely exploded. I cannot believe this thing is plastic. Built plenty of old school motors with aluminum housings, obviously times have changed. Anyway, curious if this is possible without a timing belt change.

I have seen some write ups about the belt and water pump installs, but never a tstat housing installation. I will obviously have to put the car in service position. Any help about this housing would be great. Also, the housing appears to come with a rubber gasket, is there sealant needed with this?
Aluminum thermostat housing can be installed, without timing belt removal. You need to hand-turn the engine, at the crankshaft while you carefully pull away the timing belt at the passenger side camshaft, by half an inch only. This gives you just barely enough clearance to twist the timing belt sideways and remove the plastic thermostat housing. Be sure to change the thermostat and o-ring too, while at it. Install is reverse of removal. Good luck and take your time!