Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

Purchase advice - 04 AR non-CPO

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 10:55 AM
1st Gear
Default Purchase advice - 04 AR non-CPO

Hi!

I've been going back and forth on replacing my current gas-guzzler with an AR. But ARs in my area show up at the dealer and a few days later, they're gone. These things move fast. The CPOs that is. I see non-CPO ARs stay on the lot longer. I'm leaning towards CPO ones but can't grab 'em quick enough. So, I'm thinking of going the non-CPO route.

Here's what I'm looking at right now -> 2004 Audi AllRoad

Details:
Stock #: D1033
VIN #: WA1YD54B14N027632
Engine: 2.7L V6 DOHC 30V FI
Transmission: 5 Speed Automatic
Odometer Miles: 55006
Doors: 4 Doors
Drive Type: AWD
Exterior Color: Atlas Gray Metallic
Interior Color: Platinum/saber Black

Options: Premium and Cold-Weather Packages

Been reading through the issues that ARs are prone to so am a little (or a lot) concerned with the lack of warranty.

I'm going to replace my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 with 101,500mi. It's got the heater core leaking ($1800-$2000), need new tires ($800-$1000), new brakes ($550). Those are the ones I know right now And extended warranty already ran out months ago. Just recently had the tranny serviced but am now worried about the longevity of the tranny.

That's what got me thinking into getting a replacement, plus the slight savings in gas, not much (15mpg avg vs 21mpg avg on the AR???).

Any advice?

I'm pretty sure Audi will not CPO the AR above but any 3rd party warranty guys that you can recommend, one that will cover at least another 50k? And cost?

Do you think the AR above is about the right price? Carfax checked out fine -> Carfax Report

Thanks in advance
Francis

Old 09-12-2008, 01:29 PM
1st Gear

You still might be able to get an extended warranty.Just add the expense of airbags and turbos into the coast

Old 09-12-2008, 07:21 PM
1st Gear

I think the price is good for a non CPO allroads in the north east. I just checked cars.com and found an identical ar with a CPO for over $22k here in Boston. (12k fewer miles than the one you're looking at)

The non CPO 2004 are going for right around $20k for a sub 40k miles.

You're def right when you say they don't last long. For a niche car, they move quickly around here.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:48 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for all the advice.

I went ahead and called the dealer and discussed my concern on warranty on this specific AR and he told me that all the necessary work on a CPO vehicle was done on it already. When I asked about extended warranty, was told that I can have it certified by them for $2k. So in effect, this AR can be a CPO for $19495 with 55k on the clock giving me 2yrs and additional 45k miles. I believe CPO has a $50 deductible.

On the side, I looked up CarChex and asked about their 3yr/45k and 4yr/60k plans and was quoted $2925 and $3030 respectively. Looking at their contract, it does cover the auto-leveling suspension (aka air bags, compressor, etc) and OEM turbo. Both have $100 deductible.

I believe the text below explains coverage of the air suspension:
"(9) ELECTRONIC HIGH-TECH. Level control compressor, sensors & limiter valve; pneumatic suspension pump, sensors & valves; ignition module; spark control detonation sensors & controller; integrated circuit chips; driver information display & module; keyless entry system; electronic coil packs; moisture control unit & sensors; anti-detonation sensors; vehicle manufacturer installed anti-theft device; the following parts of the Anti-locking Brake System (“ABS”): electronic wheel sensors; pump & pressure control module."

The contract entry on turbo coverage
"(1) ENGINE. (a) Engine head(s); engine block; cylinder barrels; timing cover; valve cover(s); oil pan; dipstick & tube, ONLY if damaged by the failure of a lubricated internal part. (b) The following lubricated internal parts: pistons, pins & rings, connecting rods & bearings; crankshaft & main bearings; camshaft, followers & cam bearings; push rods, valves, springs, replaceable guides, seats & lifters; rocker arms, shafts & bushings; timing gear, chain, tensioners & retainers; eccentric shaft; oil pump. (c) Also covered are the following: timing belt; serpentine belt; water pump; intake & exhaust manifolds; engine mounts & cushions; engine torque strut; harmonic balancer; flywheel (flexplate) & flywheel ring gear; mechanical fuel pump; dipstick & tube; all pulleys. (d) All lubricated internal parts of the vehicle
manufacturer installed turbo-charger or supercharger. The housing is covered ONLY if damaged by the failure of a lubricated internal part."

I think I'm going to test-drive this AR but want to be armed with warranty info before I show up at the dealership. At this point, I'm leaning towards CarChex but the CPO deal also sounds good.

Thoughts please.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by francis_a; 09-15-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:14 PM
1st Gear

Hmmmm. Though the dealer hasn't confirmed yet but after further digging, looks like the in-service date of this AR was 11/2003 so following CPO guidelines of 6yrs/100k from in-service date, it seems that the CPO warranty will only be good until 11/2009 giving me just 1-yr, unless of course the dealer tells me otherwise when I go see them hopefully tomorrow.

Am I thinking on the correct (or incorrect) lines? tnx

Old 09-15-2008, 05:26 PM
1st Gear

Email this guy BruceM.He is the allroad extended warranty expert.
brucem105@comcast.net

Old 09-18-2008, 09:10 AM
1st Gear

Thanks MYD_WGN:

Had an email exchange with Bruce. Nice guy, definitely knows is stuff!!! The warranty he offers, exclusionary, I believe is better than the other ones I've seen. Regardless which Audi I end up getting, if it's a non-CPO, I think the warranty he offers is what I'm getting.

Though I'm sold on this AR, I have yet to sell it to the wife. She doesn't like the fact that it already has 55K to begin with and very worried after 100k miles when the extended warranty runs out. Worse part, she saw an 04 A4 1.8T Avant with only 14k miles so the battle begins