Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

steering rack assembly - sensors

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 01:23 PM
1st Gear
Default steering rack assembly - sensors

I recently had the power steering rack assembly replaced on my 2004 Allroad 4.2 (it had sprung a leak and lost nearly, but not all power steering fluid) by my local dealer. They also replaced the brake switch, saying the triangle light had illuminated as well as the some oil related seals and valley gasket. When I picked the car up both the ABS and Electronic Stabilization warning lights came on and stayed on (which had not been the case prior to when the car went in). They said the combination of lights was caused by a bad steering angle sensor which they had not replaced. Also the self-leveling suspension warning light now comes on and stays on, which the dealer said is the result of the steering angle sensor and the two related warning lights being on, although I know the self leveling system itself is good because I just replaced the two front airbag and condenser last year.

My question is could the brake switch, steering angle sensor and resulting warning lights have been affected (damaged) by the initial loss of steering fluid or by the repair work the dealer did, or could those problems have emerged entirely on their own ? It seems coincidental that all these sensor and switch problems, which had not been an issue before, suddenly cropped up alongside the repair work.

This type issue has happened before (with this car but not the same repair shop) where sensors needed to be replaced right after some generally unrelated but major repair work was done.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:41 PM
1st Gear

Is it possible that the computer has to be "re-taught" the air suspension settings. If the suspension system isn't setup in the computer, the ECS system will not work either.

I had to use a VCDC "vag-com" to retrain my suspension system after some repairs.

I wonder if the changing of the steering rack may have changed the sensor settings in the suspension.

It's an easy fix if you have the VCDC and there are some you-tube videos of the procedure.

If they lifted the vehicle without first disabling the system, then the computer is probably just confused now.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:03 PM
1st Gear

The steering angle sensor is located in the steering column assembly just behind the steering wheel in front of the turn signal stalks.

I don’t see how low fluid in the rack could damage the sensor, but it may need adjusted.

Manual says, “…..Zero position compensation of steering angle sensor -G85- is necessary in the following cases: … If suspension or steering geometry is adjusted…

It looks like an easy one to replace yourself, but I have no experience with that one. (hope I didn’t just jinx myself here.)

Are you using an Audi/VW mechanic?

Good luck and let me know what you find.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:54 AM
1st Gear

Does anyone know what can happen if you put the Allroad on a lift without first putting the air spring suspension in "Jack Mode"?

Old 03-23-2015, 09:23 PM
1st Gear

The eBahn service manual and owners manual only state that the shock absorbers may be damaged if not in jack mode when lifted.

From personal experience I can say that the system seems to get confused about the proper amount of air to fill each air bag, especially if the car was not level when lifted. Mine had to re-learn the settings by going thru the suspension "output" tests and calibration procedure as seen in this video,

Old 03-27-2015, 11:56 AM
1st Gear

As an added note the three warning lights (self leveling suspension, ABS and electronic stabilization) do not come on when the car is started or put in reverse ... only when put in drive ... the dealer recommended replacing the steering angle sensor ... will that fix the problem or could there be other things wrong ... non of these lights had ever come on, either singly or in combination, prior to when the car was taken in to replace the steering rack assembly