Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

audi tech or enyone with bentley, how to remove steering rack from rack&pinion? or steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 01:28 AM
1st Gear
Default audi tech or enyone with bentley, how to remove steering rack from rack&pinion? or steering wheel?

so i did a clutch swap on my 1.8T quattro 6spd and was a pitta for the lack of better word. well i need someone to take a picture of the bottom of their car to see how their power steering hard lines are exactly routed and the main thing is that when i put my subfram back together someone move the steering wheel to where if my wheels are straight my steering wheel is 180deg so i need to to straighten it so that means i have to drop the subframe again and do everything but if the bently shows an easier way to put the two bolts holding the steering rack to the rack and pinion back together since it took me like 2 hrs would be great. thanks in advance.
now i could also just disconnect the battery and take the center nut off the steering wheel and straighten it but i have an abs code due to that and a steering sensor code as well so if i straighten it with just the wheel will it fix that

Old 05-25-2008, 09:24 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: audi tech or enyone with bentley, how to remove steering rack from rack&pinion? or steering whee

The only one I know of is the one that SparTTan did over on AW

Rack and Pinion Replacement

Old 05-25-2008, 12:03 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: audi tech or enyone with bentley, how to remove steering rack from rack&pinion? or steering whee

its an 01 225 6spd 1.8T quattro. i would have to look at the engine code

Old 05-25-2008, 01:04 PM
5th Gear

i have no clue where engine code comes into play here, you're doing no more than loosening bolts and aligning a steering wheel, right?

Old 05-25-2008, 09:53 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: audi tech or enyone with bentley, how to remove steering rack from rack&pinion? or steering wheel?

yea thats all i am doing. the position of the steering rack has nothing to do right? should be only the steering wheel or the bolt inside the car that attaches the steering rack by the brake pedal right?

Old 05-25-2008, 11:29 PM
5th Gear

straighten the wheels, disconnect the telscoping shaft to the steering gear, and then reset the steering wheel, but i wouldn't go playing around and freewheeling the steering wheel. Just move it as far as it needs to go to be correct again.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:47 PM
1st Gear

so by that i am guessing its the bolt holding the gear where the pedals are right? if yes well i ran into a problem, i disconnect it but the part that sux is that it only goes one way. the reason is because it has a shaved notch where the bolt goes so if i go 180deg like i have to it doesnt land there. i tried taking the black piece thatsurrounds to the steering column since it only has 2 philips and 1 allen but the bottom piece did not come off. i guess i am going to have to take the 2 bolts off the steering gear to the rack and pinion and do it that way. its going to involve dropping the subframe since its very tight.

any other options? anyone with a bently?