Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

05 A3 2.0T Misfire!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 05:18 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs down 05 A3 2.0T Misfire!

It seems to me as if a lot of guys are battling with misfiring on their TFSI's..

Hopefully someone can help me with some advise..

I've had the car now for about 6 months. Car was stock standard when I bought it, and the next day or so on the freeway I noticed a slight misfire under load, especially in 4th to 6th gear. I didn't think too much of it, thought it would be plug or coil related..

I did a scan with VCDS which indicated multiple misfires detected..

Anyway, I bought new Audi plugs, and 4 new coils.

Car was fine for a week, and then all of a sudden it started yet again..

Very confused, I did yet another scan and it showed multiple misfire detected, cylinder 1 misfire detected, Bank 1 sensor slow response..

I've started to investigate a bit further, and saw my coil connecter plug (harness) had a kind of a hot connection, and showed signs of starting to melt the plastics housing.. I bought a new connection plug, made sure there is good contact, and my problem was solved for a day only.

Next morning on the freeway the same bloody thing happened!!

I then went to FRC for software upgrade and to check what the problem was..
Okay we cahnged the cam follower, new dv, in-tank pump, fuel filter, and then it was better.

Only thing now is, when I apply more than say 20% throttle, it goes (as if dead) on one cylinder.. If I drive vith only my toe on the pedal, the car will be able to rev 7000 rpm without the feel of cutting one cylinder out..

VCDS scan showed the same results yet again.

Also swopped plugs and coils around but still picks up cylinder 1 misfire, Bank 1 sensor slow response..

Now I have read some articles on carbon built-up in the intake manifold and valves..

I know this is a long novel, but any advise will be highly appreciated.

Thanx!

Last edited by Adolf; 09-24-2012 at 05:22 PM.