Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Hi, new here, my first post and my first car....

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 04:30 PM
1st Gear
Default Hi, new here, my first post and my first car....

an 04 1.6 petrol a3.
I love it so far.
I wonder if I can ask a few questions?
I am new to cars, as mentioned, this is my very first one, so Im not an expert by any means

So here goes:
Glove box - my manual mentions it having a light, but it doesnt seem to be there (or its broke!) Is the glove box light standard? Its an 04 Ambition model. If broke, is it a big deal to fix.
The air con seems quite noisy for about 30 secs or so when i switch it off and step outside the car, like a fan in the engine or something. Is this normal or something to be concerned about?
The back end is a little squaky when I sit down hard on the two front seats. What could that be? It tends to come and go.
Thanks in advance,
Terry.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:07 PM
2nd Gear

Willkommen first of all

I'm also not an expert on cars but I try to learn as much as possible.

I can tell you that pretty much all the Audi's I've had did have a light in the glove box. The fix should be rather simple if it is just the bulb. On my A6 I just used a flat small screwdriver covered in masking tape (to avoid scratching anything) and slid it into the side of the light cover - pop it out gently and replace the bulb. Now if it is the connector or electrical you have to start chasing it down with a voltmeter.

A/C fan running after you leave the car is not unusual if it has been a hot day or if you have been driving for a while - as long as shuts off shortly after. The only problem you could be facing if the FCM has an issue and the fan continues to run for hours after you turned off the car - it will burn out the fan and/or drain your battery.

And for the last question: "squaky" back end - not entirely sure what you mean by that. Are you talking about the suspension making noises? or feeling strange?

Old 09-25-2012, 06:02 AM
1st Gear

Thank you very much for your reply.
I'll check out what you mentioned regarding the light!
The noise is just a squeaky noise if you sit down hard on the front seats, id imagine its suspension, cos it sounds like its from that area.
Bushes possibly? I am aware of this from cars my brother has had.
Thanks again.