Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

#2 misfire

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 02:00 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation #2 misfire

06 a3 105000miles check enging light came on said cylinder 2misfire replaced spark plugs after 150 miles came on again, changed coil pack 150 miles later came on again same code does anyone have any ideas on what could be the problem need some help..

Old 10-27-2010, 02:09 AM
1st Gear

have you checked the injectors?

the other things you need to look at is your fuel injectors, your fuel pump and also possibly your exhaust valve springs.

they are the most likely causes for your misfires!

Old 10-27-2010, 05:01 PM
1st Gear

guaranteed you have a cracked valve spring. i had the same issue ..and it cost 2900 parts n labour from dealership.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:14 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 09A3APR1
guaranteed you have a cracked valve spring. i had the same issue ..and it cost 2900 parts n labour from dealership.
thats not necessarily true. dodgy coil packs, fuel injectors, fuel pumps as well as cracked exhaust valve springs will ALL cause the issue described.

Bad fuel timing on ECU tune with poor quality fuel will also cause that problem described. I would not be jumping on the valve springs as the cause of the issue

Old 10-28-2010, 10:53 AM
1st Gear

i appreciate all of your help... this is what drives me nuts with cars in general you should be able to hook it up to the vag com/ computer what ever and it should tell you exactly where the problem is .. coil packs were replaced at the dealer.. all other work done at extremely good audi mechanic the tune up fuel filter and plugs and air filter done and a few thousand miles before that the diverter valve was replaced..

Old 11-01-2010, 01:50 PM
1st Gear
Default ..

im am telling you from experience !!!!! listen ...ive checked allll other possibilities but unfortunately the valve was the issue . iv had several shops look at my car and the only answer was the cracked valve! ive had the bottom end taken out n lookd at.. i have an a3 with apr stage 2++ now high pressure fuel pump n all the good stuff . and i had the same issue .... bottom line you wont know and will keep replacing parts of what you think it is ....until you take out the bottom end and have it looked at.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:53 PM
1st Gear

or do a few compression test's ..and you can determine if its the valve or not by how many times ur gettin no compression in cyl 2 .

Old 11-02-2010, 03:37 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 09A3APR1
im am telling you from experience !!!!! listen ...ive checked allll other possibilities but unfortunately the valve was the issue . iv had several shops look at my car and the only answer was the cracked valve! ive had the bottom end taken out n lookd at.. i have an a3 with apr stage 2++ now high pressure fuel pump n all the good stuff . and i had the same issue .... bottom line you wont know and will keep replacing parts of what you think it is ....until you take out the bottom end and have it looked at.
just because you experienced that problem doesnt necessarily mean that some one else has the SAME problem.

You need to realise that there are OTHER causes which can give you the same problem.

I also had similar problems and it was down to a combination of fuel injectors and fuel timings on my car. HAD NOTHING to do with Cracked Valve.

I know of 2 other cars who had identical issues and one of them had a packed up coil pack and the other had a busted up Exhaust Valve Spring which wasnt closing the valves properly.

So from MY experience do I try and shove it onto people and tell them that those are the cause of the problem.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:33 AM
1st Gear

i will say this the only time the car runs rough is on a cold start other than that i can feel no other signs of misfire.. the car runs fine after a few mins...car is completely stock commute 100 miles a day to work dont beat on it at all .. maybe take it up over a 100 once in a while if i no one else on the road .. plus side to that is i am a cop so i am not getting any tickets...lol but seriously i am not driving the car hard i bought it cpo.. with 5k on it coil packs brand new dealer installed them now i guess maybe 1k on them..

Old 11-03-2010, 08:35 AM
1st Gear

could this be the cause of the problem.. pcv valve, the one on the valve cover that was a suggestion i got...