Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

2006 A3 A/C

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 10:34 PM
1st Gear
Default 2006 A3 A/C

Picked up my A3 with manual transmission in December 2005. I like the car and had no problems till now. The air conditioning went out. It's now August, I live in northwest Florida and my teenage years are way behind me! The dealer diagnosed the compressor as the problem. Of course there was not one on a shelf in the US and I am told one is in route from Germany. Shipping, customs and the like leave me with no estimated time of repair and they have had the car for over one week. I had less than 8K miles on the car at the time of the A/C failure. Anybody else had serious A/C problems with the US version of the 2006 A3? I have owned two Hondas in the last 15 years and although there is a lot for fun per gallon with the A3 I never did anything beyond scheduled maintenance and brakes/tires on them. Is this a sign of things to come?

Old 08-05-2006, 03:34 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 2006 A3 A/C

Why doubt your car after only the first problem, just accept the fact that stuff will happen and move on

Old 08-05-2006, 10:41 PM
1st Gear

A lot of my concern was the response from the service manager I talked to when making the service appointment. He said "not to expect to drive home with a working air conditioner after diagnostics, we have had to order parts on repairs". He did not specify the A3 over Audi in general, but that was what it sounded like. The day I brought it in the service writer handed the keys to a technician saying "maybe this will be the easy one to repair", that was over a week ago. The implication was I was not the first to bring my A3 back with an A/C problem and they have not been able to repair one in less than several days! I am hopeful that this was the exception and not a problem that will return next summer. The ride, performance, features and looks of the car make me want to keep it for many years. I was just wondering if anyone else has had a major A/C failure with the 2006 US version of the A3 with the 2.0T motor? If there are not any further responses to this maybe my failure will be a first and only.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:56 AM

this is not uncommon. I am in the midst of the same problem, and so are others.

see http://forums.audiworld.com/a3/msgs/64376.phtml

Old 08-10-2006, 10:02 PM
1st Gear

Here is an update on my 2006 A3 air conditioning failure. I had a message on my machine this afternoon when I got home. It was from the Audi USA office, not the local dealership. The caller apologized several times for my inconvenience and stated that the replacement compressor had shipped from Germany. They also stated that the dealer would call as soon as it arrives and provide an estimated time of repair. Glad to get the call but I am not sure how to take it. Good customer service from the corporate level or an admission of a bigger manufacturer problem? Either way, I was glad to get the call.

I took it in for diagnostics two weeks ago today. I have been driving a Dodge Neon rental since, of course at the dealers expense. I can’t wait to get my car back. Man, that A3 with a manual transmission has really spoiled me!!!

Old 08-19-2006, 06:55 PM
1st Gear

The saga continues. It has now been three weeks and counting. I got a call yesterday that the replacement compressor did arrive, but still no working A/C. Another compressor and associated stuff on order! I did check the link mentioned above and it does seem that this is a real problem. More to follow.

Old 08-28-2006, 10:33 PM
1st Gear

Last update? My A3 went in for diagnostics on 7/27. The air conditioner was bowing hot air. All controls were working but only hot air out the vents. They said the compressor was at fault. It took two replacement compressors to get the air conditioner working past the road test. I got it back on 8/23. Several gallons of gas less and a few miles more than when dropped off but yes the A/C was working. I also had a lower engine shield replaced that had broken. I got the engine shield replaced for no dollars / comp for them having the car for almost a complete month. I can report that I am very happy to be back in my A3. Most of the fun in life has returned. It is now 8/28 and my A3 is doing great. Things have been a little tuff. The A/C problems flowed over to my home as well. I just had to replace the complete home unit! Thankfully I can cruise around in the car and let the house cool off!!!