Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

2006 A3 DSG or Manual?

Old 12-19-2005, 03:36 AM
1st Gear
Default 2006 A3 DSG or Manual?

Hey,
I went to a couple of Audi dealers looking at the A3 2.0T. I love the car, it looks awesome. I just dont know whether to go with the standard manual shift or with the DSG. Any suggestions????

Old 12-19-2005, 03:49 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: 2006 A3 DSG or Manual?

There's no doubt about it.
Go and get DSG!
The paddle shifters are really cool and practical too!

Old 12-19-2005, 04:13 AM
Administrator

umm i say manual all the way.. personally i would get bored with the paddles after a month

Old 12-19-2005, 12:26 PM

I'd say DSG.
I have one and it ROCKS!!!
I love the sound it makes when it shifts.....

Old 12-20-2005, 03:20 AM
1st Gear

i like the manual but im probably gonna go with the dsg. the dealer was giving me a descent price for the a3 dsg, beige leather interior, open sky, and premium package.

Old 12-20-2005, 03:26 AM
1st Gear

oh i had another question. i was wondering how exactly the dsg works. do you use it like a manual without a clutch???

Old 12-20-2005, 08:53 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: sly15

oh i had another question. i was wondering how exactly the dsg works. do you use it like a manual without a clutch???
I'd say no. I'm not entirely sure but I guess it’s noting too much different from standard automatic in front of the users but it’s totally different internally, it’s a different technology. I think it’s much more to do with Audi but the drivers.

The technology says (according to Audi) that DSG gearbox is a double clutch system, which consists of two wet plate-type clutches with hydraulically regulated contact pressure. One engages the odd-numbered and other the even-numbered gears. While the first clutch is transmitting the power, the second clutch is ready to engage the next gear, which is reselected, thus enables gearshifts to be made without interrupting the power flow and keeps the shift times extremely short. When the driver makes the gearshift, the first clutch is released and the second engages, so that the gearshift takes place in a fraction of a second.

People say DSG is fun after having the test-drive but I’m not sure how long they gonna say that for in practical daily driving. But those who are driving automatic from the day one and can’t drive stick this gonna be fun for them all the time because they got something better than the stuffs they were using.

Old 12-21-2005, 03:48 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: sly15

I usually drive D or S mode which is automatic mode, but the fun time is when you want to go though tight curves or intersections quickly. While you drive in D or S mode, you can directly get into manual mode when you hit paddle shifter without touching shift ****! You hit the brake and at the same time shift down by the paddle shifter directly before hitting a clipping point. Once you pass the clipping point, then immediately send gas and shift up by paddle shifter. This can be done very easily and quickly! Believe it or not, it's really fun.

I have a stick car and enjoy manual shift driving as well. Rev matching and heel-and-toe technique must be used and that is definitely one of fun-to-drive factors. I really like it. But remember, you can go through a tight curve by DSG/paddle shifter more quickly.

Besides, DSG paddle shifter has much quicker response (less time lag) than normal automatic. You can really enjoy Formula One like driving if you want. (I've never driven F-1 car before, but I guess that would be the "F-1 like" drive...)

That's one of how you can enjoy DSG/paddle shifter.

Old 12-21-2005, 04:07 AM
4th Gear

I heard the sales mans pitch about how fast the shift is and how new and improved all that bla bla crap. I have to tell you I didn't see what all the fuss was about. Get a stick.

Old 12-22-2005, 02:15 AM
1st Gear

Have you ever tried DSG?
If not, you must try it first.
I tried manual A3, but it's not so impressive, though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 A3 DSG or Manual?