Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

2009 A3 Damaged by an Authorised Audi Service Centre

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 08:24 PM
1st Gear
Default 2009 A3 Damaged by an Authorised Audi Service Centre

Hi guys,

First post here. iv'e bought my first ever Audi recently and was really hoping to stay with the brand over many years (maybe an S3 later). Unfortunately my first experience has not been a good one and I hope it doesn't put me off the brand for good.

After taking my 2009 A3 1.4 TFSI down to an authorized Audi service centre here in Sydney, Australia yesterday for its scheduled 3rd year service, I receive a call about midday from Audi to tell me that it’s all going well and I should expect to pick up at 4pm. About 2 hours later I receive another call from the service centre, this time informing me that they have some very bad news as the oil sump in the car has been cross-threaded and they are unable to tighten the plug back on enough without it leaking oil.

To be clear: The sump plug was fitted perfectly tight on vehicle prior to the service, but when they removed it as part of the service they were unable to put it back on as hole had been too badly cross–threaded now to be put back on.

I was then advised that it was not their fault and that I have no choice but to pay AUD $965 (about the same in USD) for a replacement sump. Also, as the car is sitting up on the hoist, I was told I would have no car for at least the next few days. Finally, they advised that the sump cannot simply be helicoiled as there is simply not enough thread remaining for this to be possible.

When I went back to the service centre that afternoon to discuss it further, they blamed the place where it was last serviced (another official Audi service centre incidentally) for cross-threading the sump. When I called the other service centre, they told me it was the current service centre’s fault. I then gave my phone to the manager at the current service centre and the two managers at the two different service centre’s were discussing it over the phone in front of me. They just sat there blamed each other.

When I said I would take the matter to Fair Trading (an Australian government body that deals with these issues) to recoup my costs, they said that I can’t prove which service centre did it and so I have no recourse. Nor can I take Audi in general to fair trading as they have “nothing to do with it”.

Also, they did finally agree to give me a hire car but I have to return it tomorrow even though the replacement part has not been ordered as of yet.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 01-25-2012, 08:39 PM
1st Gear

Take them to Fair Trading, just because you can't prove WHICH authorized audi service center broke your car, you can prove that it wasn't your fault and that Audi should pay for it. It's by no means your fault that Audi hired two stubborn managers and between them, one or two stupid repair techs. You can also write to Audi of Australia, and they should be able to foot the bill.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:40 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by etzbseder
Take them to Fair Trading, just because you can't prove WHICH authorized Audi Service center broke your car, you can prove that it wasn't your fault and that Audi should pay for it. It's by no means your fault that Audi hired two stubborn managers and between them, one or two stupid repair techs. You can also write to Audi of Australia, and they should be able to foot the bill.

This guy is spot on pal

Take the case to fair trading

Good luck man