Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

2010 A3 Sudden loss of power, instrumentation goes dark

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 02:28 PM
MJF
Exclamation 2010 A3 Sudden loss of power, instrumentation goes dark

I have experienced a sudden loss of power on several occasions in the past few months. Twice the car has been in for service to resolve this issues, which Audi claimed were unrelated. In every case where I have had a loss of power (or complete failure of the car to work) they have been accompanied with the instrument panel going dark – not the clock, radio and other information, just the round dials for speed and RPM.

Now from time to time the instrument panel goes dark – as if it has a light sensor but there is no noticeable change in light levels. This does not always result in a loss of power. However last week, while making a left turn, I experienced another complete loss of power. While being very exposed to on coming traffic, I managed to coast to the curb lane. I shut off the car, waited a few minutes and turned it back on again. It worked fine – but now I have no confidence in this car, my wife will not drive it, and I hesitate to take it anywhere that requires me to be very punctual (such as to the airport) as I’m afraid it will fail and leave me stranded.

I have spoken to Audi Service about this but I suspect they don’t believe me. I am curious if anyone else has had similar experiences and if so have you found a solution.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:20 PM
1st Gear

man, sorry to hear that. i have a new 2010 A3 with NO such findings. and, i hope i never do.

if i was in your shoes, i would raise hell!!! a car konking out is serious stuff. as you mentioned, durring a left turn, loss of brakes and steering. that is serious stuff that shouldn't be taken lightly. i'm really surprised they don't believe you. that is a huge lawsuit waiting to happen. i would document everything and defintely the things the dealership says to you.

i hope it gets fixed immediately and no one gets hurt.

that's crazy stuff! i've had my previous suv stall out on turns and it's no fun and extremely dangerous. after that, i never let my wife drive my suv.

good luck!