Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

2012 Audi A3 TDI Block Heater?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 08:11 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy 2012 Audi A3 TDI Block Heater?

Hi all!

We've had a BRUTAL winter here in Wisconsin. This has resulted in my battery being completely frozen and my car being completely unable to start. I've had to tow it into Audi each time for them to thaw it out in their bay. They now want to start charging me $200 each time this happens rather than figure out what the cause of this is and fix it. They also have no parts I can purchase to keep the engine/battery warm, and when it's -20 through -40 so often as it has been, there's really not much I can do to stop this from happening.

I've searched and searched. I can find heaters for VW everywhere, but nothing for newer Audis. Anyone have any ideas? I'm so desperate to find a way to keep my car engine/battery from completely freezing to the point that I can't even get it to start. Sometimes I get ONE chance to try to get it to turn over, sometimes it does (pump the gas too) but usually it doesn't (once it's under -15 or so).

I know they used to come with block heaters, but they no longer do. There isn't a factory one or a plug under the light or anything like that. They say "the technology is so much better now that they don't need them." Except that they obviously do...

Help!!? Please.

Desperate in Wisconsin!

Old 03-08-2014, 10:07 AM
1st Gear

Hi, it is a bummer that your 2012 does not. I have a A3 TDI 2011 and it does have one factory install, so i do not understand why 2012 one year difference in the same model does not. It may be because i have a model for Canada and audi was obliged to have them for the canadian market.

I have seen on some other site cannot recall as i was doing so much reading that there are some after market available fo VW that can be modified and installed.

My issue is that my Battery group 48 is not strong enough, and garages recommend the group 49, but it is couple of inches bigger and will not fit.

If i run into the link about the block heater i will post here.

Good luck and hang in Spring is around the corner.
Joe