Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A3 1997 1.8 Central Locking Failure...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 09:43 PM
1st Gear
Default A3 1997 1.8 Central Locking Failure...

The central locking has failed. The pump made an awful "errrrrrrrrrrrr" sound every time the key was turned in the lock. I've since removed the pump to stop the sound, but have a few questions. The part number is an 8LO 862 257 E.

1. What is the difference between each of the ... 257 A/B/E/N values?

2. Can I replace it with the same part number, but different version? I've read that this is where the remote control programming is stored, but I'm currently not using the remote - need to get the doors working again first.

3. If I do replace it with a different version number, and keep the circuit board, can I cut the wires and re-solder the cables and guarantee the remote locking will work as well?

4. Is it worth the cost ($US150-250) of a new / used pump? Has anyone successfully installed a 3rd party electric central locking kit? Rather than keeping with the Audi design - I hate mechanical / moving parts that fail over time.

5. Is there an Audi A3 1997 DIY book available anywhere?

Thank you for any assistance, website references or forum threads you might be able to provide.

Last edited by Tauranga; 08-05-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:46 AM
1st Gear
Default help

Its a common problem which i had myself. do you hear the pump from the boot area for about ten seconds everytime you use the key to open? the ceramic discs inside the pump housing shatter which in turn wont produce the air to circulate the system and push up/down the door locks. search ebay for central locking repair which is all the replacement parts your need and its about £35 saves alot of hassle, heres a link AUDI A3/A4 central locking pump replacement | eBay

Old 08-06-2011, 08:50 AM
1st Gear
Default help

once you have have the parts which are only a few ceramic discs n screws you can use the existing pump by just changing the parts over its a really easy job and only takes 10 mins and then everything will work like before including the remote to open the doors

Old 08-07-2011, 05:21 PM
1st Gear
Default Thank you for the response.

Originally Posted by nugent7288
Its a common problem which i had myself. do you hear the pump from the boot area for about ten seconds everytime you use the key to open? the ceramic discs inside the pump housing shatter which in turn wont produce the air to circulate the system and push up/down the door locks. search ebay for central locking repair which is all the replacement parts your need and its about £35 saves alot of hassle, heres a link AUDI A3/A4 central locking pump replacement | eBay
Hi Nugent,
The pump noise comes on for between 5-10 seconds... I haven't timed it to be exact. I found the same link over the weekend and emailed the listing owner. Bought a kit yesterday. I'll also vacuum out the dust from the unit, as I think it's carbon (not ceramic) which if it is, it's conductive... and will probably be shorting out some of the circuitry.

I'm still baffled as to why Audi went down a mechanical / air pump route for central locking, rather than an electrical / solenoid one. It's like going back to use rolled springs rather than shock absorbers.

Thanks again. Pete.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:07 AM
1st Gear
Default help

yes sorry your right there not ceramic my mistake, when i had the same problem i thought it was going to cost a fortune until someone pointed out that it was an air system which like you couldnt believe but atleast its only a cheap fix, cudnt believe either how many peices the discs had shattered into, best of luck

Old 09-15-2011, 05:35 PM
1st Gear
Default Solved...

I thought I'd post an update to this issue. Purchased the eBay kit from the UK and it arrived around 3-4 weeks later. Opened up the pump box and vacuumed out the graphite dust to ensure no shorts on the circuitry. Fitted the replacement parts, reconnected the pump box and tried the locks... voila everything works again.

Thank you SO much for your help... onto the next problem.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:05 AM
1st Gear
Default update

Not a problem mate glad i could help. take care