Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

a3 2001..can any1 help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 02:12 PM
1st Gear
Default a3 2001..can any1 help?

hello, i was wondering if any1 could help me, I just bought an a3 2001 (Y) the other day. The guy i bought it from serviced the car himself not so long ago. Usual service procedures, plugs, oil, filter and a catalyst replacement. The car runs quick and smooth. However there are a few annoying issues i like to get rid off:;

1. Within the rev counter on the dashboard, shows an orange symbol that looks like a triangle with a arrow going around it? what is it? how do i clear this?
2. The car came with two fob keys, however one key starts up the engine then after a few seconds it cuts off. Other key works fine. I notice the orange car/key symbol appears when i use this key. does it need programming? is there a way to program this without taking it to a dealer?
3. When driving the next day i notice the temp. quage needle moves up and down from 60 degrees to 90 degree then back down to 60 and up to 90. It does this ramdomly. sometimes in traffice its back down to 60. what seems to be the fault?
4. On the dashboard in the middle displays a circle with a exlamation mark in it that beeps and flash whenever the car sets off to move. Does any1 know why? what could be setting it off?
5. where is the fuse box located?

can any1 help with these annoying problems. does it have anything to do with VAGCOM? if so is there can some1 help me with this.

thanks

Old 08-19-2007, 04:12 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: a3 2001..can any1 help?

1/4. Sounds like this is the ESP indicator, which would suggest ESP is not working. The circle with the exclaimation mark indicates an issue with the brakes, it may be that the brake fluid resevouir is low, or ABS is not working. (check the ABS by doing an 'emergency stop'). If the ABS is not working then the ESP will not either, as that makes use of the ABS sensors and actuators. It could just be a case of a drity sensor, or something more serious.
2. Keyneeds tobe programmed. It is the immobiliser that is preventing the car from running.
5. Fuse box is at the end of thedash board.Open the drivers side door, and then remove thepanel on the end of thedashboard.

Sounds like you've bought a car with quite a few problems.

Old 08-19-2007, 02:30 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the info.

tried an emergency stop. seems to do it ok. brake resevouir is also up to fine. i do remeber the seller saying something about the ESP. (cant remeber now). nothing seems to happen when i press the ESP button. (no light on the button appears etc). maybe the fuse has gone? could it jus need pluging into vagcom? as for dirty sensors, where would i find these sensors and how do i clean them?

whats the best thing to do if the abs/esp is not working? would it be best to take to an audi dealer or look around?

thanks

Old 08-20-2007, 04:53 AM
1st Gear

The ABS sensors are on the wheel hub. Take off the wheel, and you will see on each hub, a toothed wheel. The sensor will be pointing at this wheel. You could clean both to see if it makes a difference.

If the ABS/ESP isn't working then a dealer will be able to diagnose the problem for you, which should't cost you anything. It's the work to fix it that will! However, if the ABS isn't working then you may fail your MOT, I'm dont think ESP is a requirement for an MOT.