Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A3 3.2 or C230 Sportscoupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 11:58 AM
Default A3 3.2 or C230 Sportscoupe

I have a burning decision to make. I drive a Merc C230 Sportscoupe Auto(Evolution with panoramic sunroof). A very comfortable car, although not a performance car at all.
I am very interested in trading it for a A3 3.2 V6 Quattro. The two cars cost basically the same. I am just scared that I would regret making the decision. Could anyone who owns a 3.2 please respond with how you find the car in everyday use. I haven't testdriven it yet. Would only be able to do that on 26-04-05(Tuesday), but also only with the DSG. I think if I would go for it I would choose the DSG as I got used to an auto box and the manual is apparently a tricky one to get used to. The Sportback version has not yet arrived here in South Africa ( isn't that surprising [:'(]) so I can't even make an informed decsion between the standard and the Sportback. Just from seeing pictures the 3 door seem more together.

Any help from 3.2 drivers......

Jaco

Old 04-26-2005, 08:00 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A3 3.2 or C230 Sportscoupe

I have just done 1000 miles in my new 2.0 petrol turbo FSI quattro with manual 6 speed. The gearchange is a short shift precise delight. Weighted so when you come out of 5 or 6 it lines up with 3 or 4. The car oozes quality and has a satisfying clunk when the doors shut - no rattles despite sports suspension. Interesting little features like wipers that go to intermittent when stopped at traffic lights. The 2.0 T FSI says 31 to the gallon on the specs and I acheived an easy 35 on a crosscountry trip of 35 miles (having run only 350 miles so a tight engine) . As the running in is 1500kms - about the 1000 miles I have done - my respect for the car has increased by the day. Light steering at low speeds and weight at high speeds - great brakes, cumfy leather seats and the new aggressive grill has heads turning. All this and 0-60 in 7 secs with a top speed of 145mph. My second car is a 1998 911- and the Audi is much easier to drive fast. The steering goes where you point it and is not affected by camber or road ruts - brilliant!

Old 04-26-2005, 08:21 PM
Default RE: A3 3.2 or C230 Sportscoupe

Thx StevoRocket,

Just dropped in to see if someone replied. I have not managed to testdrive the 3.2 yet. Have testdriven the 2.0TDi a while ago and was then already impressed with the car. From the beginning the A3 had a mature pressence about it and it just keeps drawing my attention. It is really a hard decission for me to get rid of the Merc as there is nothing major wrong with the car. It is a comfortable car with all the nice things the Audi has and more. The only thing that have always put me off about the car is engine sound, as it is only a 1.8 highly supercharged. So it makes quite a whinning noise. That's probably why I have the affinity for the 3.2 as it has that V6 engine note. I hope to get a call on Thursday from the dealers to testdrive the car, although the one the have is the DSG. I'm used to driving an auto, so I guess it would not be a suprise altogether.
They will only be releasing the 2.0T engines in the Sportback guisse here from June this year. Think they are trying to keep the market for both the 3 and 5 doors seperate. I do like the new grille and think it would even make the car more attractive than present. Can't wait to see it in real life, as it will also only be available here from next month. Hope they haven't changed the back lights on the 3 door as that is partly what makes the car.

Jaco [IMG][/IMG]