Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A3 3.2 versus Mini Cooper Clubman S

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 05:28 PM
1st Gear
Default A3 3.2 versus Mini Cooper Clubman S

I know this falls into the 'Apples to Oranges' category but, I am actually tossing this choice around. First, price: The A3 I am considering is about 37K. The Mini Clubman S, is about 31K. Equipment is about the same.

The A3 is so much more refined, quiet and comfortable. It has AWD, 4 normal doors and a normal hatch. It is probably close to 15 inches longer.

The Clubman S has the most smile inducing handling this side of a Porsche. It gets almost 50% better fuel economy. It's quite unique, for better or for worse. It is relatively noisy, it's interior equipment, gimmicky. Torque steer is bad. But it is a lot of fun and very efficient. Every vehicle I've driven since seems slow, vague and removed in the handling/steering category by comparison.

I realize folks on this site have a healthy bias towards the A3. I enjoyed mine so much I am thinking of getting another (unheard of for me). But, This extended version of the Mini got under my skin. What would you do??

Old 03-12-2008, 12:49 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: A3 3.2 versus Mini Cooper Clubman S

I actually test drove the clubman and it basicly drives just like the regular mini except I felt like I was in a tunnel. It looks a bit weird because it looks a mini limo. The storage and back hatch doors are awsome its just the longness that looks strange to me. Before I got my A3, I was 100% set on getting a mini cooper s because they are insanely fun to drive. My dad wanted me to just go look at the A4 (I didn't know there was an A3 at the time) so I went and knew I wasn't going to want an A4 and then I saw the A3. Went for a test drive and fell inlove with it. Theres no doubt my A3 could smoke a clubman in a race but other than that theres plenty of room in the a3, it looks awsome, great handling, all around awsome.

So I mean, its your call. Assuming you've test drive both, just go over both cars and figure out the pros and cons.

good luck!

Old 03-12-2008, 01:03 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: A3 3.2 versus Mini Cooper Clubman S

Fusion hit it on the dot.
You just need to figure out which pros are higher then the cons.
You may end up with the Audi and you may not.
Either way your going to end up with a fun little car that will get the job done.
Good luck in your decision.
Oh and let us know the outcome.