Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A3 Declining Reliability: Consumer Reports 2009

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 02:12 PM

Lots of problems, most recent of which was a $500 bill because the rear window wouldn't roll up (just out of warranty). You should google A3 and window and see all the problems.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:10 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dana3
reliability has gone down i thing. 2004 a3 55,000 miles.
1. A/C compressor went
2. CD player dont play cds any more
3. Coolant Temperature Sensor
4. coolant leaking, leak cant be found. looks like its the head! 2004 audi needing a new head!! This day age shouldn't happen.
5. New rear Shock Absorbers
6. sound like i need new front Wheel Bearing
Seems like a lot to go wrong for only 55k. I don't know if reliability is declining or not, but it's the main reason I've not bought an Audi already. I've owned and loved MIJ cars for years, and my last/current vehicle is an '01 325i I bought CPO in '03. Love driving the car (nothing like German engineering!), but started looking last year after the extended warranty expired (too many issues to mention). Really like the A3--a lot--but will likely go Japanese again...still torn. But now that I have a good local indy mechanic, I'm reasonably okay keeping the bimmer with 120k mi and counting.

Greg

Old 01-01-2009, 12:11 PM
1st Gear
Default Reliability

2006 2.0T 6spd man 40K - Tires @ 20k (due to road noise). Lumbar in driver's seat replaced under waranty due to noise when depressing clutch.
Burns oil but some turbos do that from what I read - but I always check. But that's it and car always serviced as recommended. Running great - hopefully I have not jinxed myself since the warranty is coming to an end very soon.
I'm still trying to understand why Audi does spark plug changes @ 35k while under waranty. We have technology these days that allow plugs to last alot longer and why don't they use it?

Old 01-03-2009, 11:16 AM

I subscribe to CR, but I have to agree with their methodology being a bit deceiving. The new A3 is a very good, and I would argue, very reliable car. I have a 2006 with 55k miles. I replaced the battery last month for just over $100, which seems a bit early than expected. I'm on my third set of tires, that just now started making such a racket that I'm contemplating replacing them again, and there is still life left on the tread. Other than the tires, I'm completely satisfied with the car. I'm one who usually gets easily tired of a car and trades them in frequently, but I haven't found another that is better than the A3 for me. I get awesome performance that embarrasses most other vehicles, with excellent luxury, and 30+ mpg on my work commute. What more could you ask for in a daily driver? Almost 3 years later and I'm still extremely happy with my purchase.

Now, if any of you have a nice, quiet set of rubber with a long tread life rating for my little car, we can definitely make a deal. LOL

Cheers!

Old 01-16-2009, 02:26 PM
1st Gear

Been awhile since I've chimed in here. Just to cover some quick points, CR's methodology sucks. For the A3 (2.0T, they haven't tested the 3.2), early on they placed it in a category that, in relationship to other cars in that category, scored it as more reliable and with the absolute highest level of owner satisfaction. Now they've lumped it into another category and by comparision rate it well below average in owner satisfaction, with declining reliability. Yet consistently, it has been one of their top recommended models (for each category in which it was placed!).

As an aside, last year I purchased a microwave oven based on their recommendations. It died after 9 months. As of last month, it was STILL one of their top recommendations, while the CR user forum had 51 out of 60 posts claiming theirs died as well.

I'm not defending Audi, and my A3 could really hit the fan in a couple of years...but the only problems I've had were Open Sky (one shade replaced, other had a rattle fixed), stereo replaced because it stopped reading CDs (an apparent TSB on the Symphony in 2007 models) and window seal noises that are easily remedied at home. It's been the most reliable car I've owned so far. Two years old, just passed 25K miles.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:06 PM

I'd hate to have owned your other cars then. Talk about low expectations.

Off the top of my head, our A3 has hd the following issues:
  • Burns oil like mad
  • Armrest between driver and passenger latch broke off
  • knobbie thing that holds up hatchback shelf broke
  • Sunroof sunshade doesn't retract
  • Air intake servo motor died
  • Interior surfaces losing their paint (or whatever it is).
  • Rear passenger window mechanism imploded
  • Rear window wiper water sprayer won't spray work a darn

That's all I can think of without grabbing the paperwork.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:03 AM
L7
1st Gear

I would have to concur with Chef and Drumdork about CR. I have done several surveys for them and are often left wondering what kind of 'fortune tellers' work for them. As far as their ratings on cars go a majority of those cars that have the higher ratings are generally just that; just cars - point A to point B cars. With people who are just driving them from point A to point B - there is no thought of driving dynamics, cornering or driving fun. Half those morons around here are on their cell phones and blackberries around here anyhow. And probably would not even notice half the stuff about their cars that generally the A3 drivers would notice. From what I've noticed about drivers that drive cars which are meant to be "driven" - they drive. They don't just climb in and are suddenly at their destination with barely any recall of their drive. And folks - like myself, I'm sure y'all recall the various corners and curves during your drives or journeys.
So - overall - screw what CR says. Life is a journey - shouldn't every journey be treated like one. If you have an A3 you probably see it the same way. If you are considering an A3 - decide what you want a car for. Just my 1.5 cents (after taxes).

Old 01-25-2009, 11:30 PM
1st Gear

2007 Audi A3 46K miles bought new Oct 06:
- battery died few months ago which costs me $100 (battery no warranty)
- rough cold starts which dealer tells me theres nothing wrong with it everytime i mentioned it during service
- some suspension problems (squeaking in the rear) which I have yet to address (maybe its my sway bar)

I change the oil every 5k miles. I only thing I'm pissed off about is the battery which I think only has 1 year warranty. Dealer tried to ask for over 300 bones to replace the battery and also over 300 to replace brake pads, I told them to f*** themselves.

Last edited by swau; 01-25-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:14 PM
1st Gear

Funny, I was just thinking today that my A3 is the first new car ever (and I have had many) that has gone 6+ months without a problem....big or small.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:49 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by canuckA3
Funny, I was just thinking today that my A3 is the first new car ever (and I have had many) that has gone 6+ months without a problem....big or small.
Same here. Absolutely nothing mechanical. The only thing was the leather cracking on the driver seat, which got replaced through warranty every time.

Quick Reply: A3 Declining Reliability: Consumer Reports 2009