Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A3 DSG in the 1/4 mile

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 05:43 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A3 DSG in the 1/4 mile

ORIGINAL: olivier
JohnS1 - I did not want to die stupid so I tried to get some info on this and apparently at 5000 feet, the loss to a turbo is minimum, the loss to a NA can be around 5% per 1000 feet, let’s assume a 25% loss, the 350Z would still deliver more power/torque, lighter, better grip as pointed by eltonsi and that is even before considering the mods on the 350Z - minor but still compared to a stock 2.0T... Am I still going to die stupidor does that make some sort of sense?
The 350Z at sea level with 306 HP@ 6400 rpm, and peak torque 268 @ 4800 rpm puts out a 0-60 time in 5.4 sec's. With a naturally aspirated engine, horsepower drops off 3 percent per 1000 ft (300m) because of the 3 percent decrease in air density per 1000 ft (300 m). So the 350Z at 1500 meter elevation is down to 260HP effectively. Perhaps what would make more of a impact is the broad torque range (1800 to 5000 rpm) the A3 enjoys, that the 350Z doesn't have until you achieve high rev's while suffering a 15% loss of HP. So how much is a NA engine torque output effected by altitude is a good question.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:26 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: ChefYou know that the French suck at driving so you'll need all the extra horsepower you can get.[:-]

Bring it on baby!!!

Cheers!
Tell it to this guy.

[IMG]local://upfiles/30339/BFC4BA29D5504DB7A38D6FDDE55FDB9F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-05-2007, 08:37 PM
1st Gear

JohnS1 – I tried to dig a little deeper but 1) I don’t have the time, 2) my connection to the internet is pretty slow lately - it svcks to wait and 3) I do not care THAT much.We can agree that this is the horse power formula hp=(2*π*torque*rpm)/33,000 or simplified hp=rpm*torque/5,252. So, if hp went down 15% and we only have 2 parameters and assuming that the rpm is the same, torque also went down proportionally. Although logical, it relies on the assumption that rpm remains constant and in reality I do not know if it is the case.
Overall, I am still a little shock at the difference especially since MexA3 mentioned that it is not a unique case but is usual for him to beat the Z, GTs, etc.

ORIGINAL: MexA3
Oh and dont worry, I could assure youtequila had nothing to see with that races...
Damn, that was my only chance to beat anybody on this forum! [sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]

Chef, cwdilg,why don't you drink the tequila and then I can beat the both ofyou at the same time!

To MexA3 - Seriously now, keep the video coming and the time. I noticed that all the cars that you mentioned are NA, you are going to have to race another Turbo before I can be 100% convinced, well 99% anyway.

Where are you in Mexico? DF? I go to Mexico 2 to 3 times a year on business. I am going to have to try to take some time away and check this out. I usually go to DF for shows, Guadalajara &Cancun -yes on business- and sometimesMonterrey. If I can make it work, I want to see this with my own eyes.

-----
Chef – the answer is yes, what is the question?...I will send you a PM andI hope you have a good sense of humor before reading what comes below.

ORIGINAL: Chef
Olivier, so do I call you a Frerman or a Gerench?
Call me DADDY because after the beating[sm=outcold.gif] [sm=chairshot.gif]you will receive you will find yourself back in diapers with a pacifier in your mouth so we don’t have to hear you crying [sm=boohoo.gif]as you crawl back to your mama….[sm=loser.gif]
[sm=joke.gif]– you know French people have to run their big mouths… I know you told me of a good Irish saying about this but I cannot help it, it is genetics…

Cheers

Signed

Arrogant pr!ck (I am actually a nice guy, really [sm=grinangel.gif])

Old 06-05-2007, 09:15 PM

Nothin' but hot air from a bafoon.[:-] Anyway, you still didn't answer my question, but we all know that you couldn't beat me in a race, tequila and all. Nice try.

Cheers!

Old 06-05-2007, 09:48 PM
1st Gear

gloops (swallowing down)…

Sorry Chef – We both knew that… I was just hoping that most people would not... Maybe impress a fellow noob or two!!!!! Can't you let a man dream??????... At least I hope you found it midly amusing.

PS: Check your inbox for the answer to the question.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:38 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Chef

Hmmm...I haveall of the performance modson that list but one, so make sure you get the Big Turbo Olivier, or you will definitely lose. You know that the French suck at driving so you'll need all the extra horsepower you can get.[:-]

Bring it on baby!!!

Cheers!

Who said the French suck?

NWS!!! lol!!! (check out the cursing parrot!!) I couldn't post the direct link because it has a @#$@ word in the url.
http://corelineracing.com/research/m...eA&show=10

Old 06-05-2007, 11:03 PM

I said the French suck, because Olivier is French, and it pisses him off. Otherwise, I really don't have a beef with anybody.

Cheers!

Old 06-05-2007, 11:05 PM
2nd Gear

Is it me or is the a GTI in the first video? Also I dont think a DSG and chirp the tires going into 2nd/3rd (Not sure which gear it was from the video) unless that was the nissan jap crap thingy.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:04 AM
1st Gear

smarsenal - I already have to suffer Chef but at least he is Irish and thus from the right side of the Atlantic but insult me with a Canadian French parrot? That is the worst insult I have received yet on this forum and I have received a lot (mostly from Chef). I would not stand for this and demand reparation. I have seen the car you drive and remember a discussion on Evo vs. A3 with a certain someone who shall remain nameless so we cannot take tothe road, so the only way to resolve this is good old fashioned 18th century duel[sm=violent053.gif].

*** slap *** this is I slapping you with my virtual glove!

Signed

The Guillotine Man

Old 06-06-2007, 12:33 AM

LOL

Why does it seem that all of the battles on the A3 section involves a French man??? Must be compensating for something???

Cheers!

Quick Reply: A3 DSG in the 1/4 mile