Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Which A3 to get??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 02:20 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Which A3 to get??

ORIGINAL: Audinam

For Stock form, i think the 3.2 can push 250 hp and 236 ft/lbs torque, but since it's quattro, you loose some of that hp to the wheels, and dmarsh is right that the supercharger is only for the manual tranny, although here's the site and seems like it IS available.
http://www.vf-engineering.com/
I'm interested in the dyno numbers for these cars. The '05 Evo for instance is rated at 286 hp but they generally put down around 225 whp on a DD dyno. It seems that the DSG tranny cannot handle the levels of power that the superchager can add to the 3.2 engine. That's a real shame since the DSG tranny is one of the main reasons I'm looking at these cars.

ORIGINAL: Audinamas for the 2.0T mods
chip - $500
Turboback exhaust- $1300
CAI - $300

that's for the perfomance mods, but with all this power, you need to sustain grip to the ground, so stiffer engine and tranny mounts would be another 600 bucks
I have some experience with modified FWD cars. My '96 Integra GSR with a supercharger was hampered by wheelspin. I changed the motor and tranny mounts but they did not correct the problem sufficiently. I think that what I needed was a LSD and drag radials.

Does the A3 come with LSD?

Old 09-19-2006, 03:42 AM
SoCal Crew Member

one of our members here in AF (T2T) dyno'ed his MT A3 after he chipped and exhausted it and he was running 250hp and 308 lbs torque to the wheels

can't help you much re: the LSD on the 2.0T, i'm pretty sure the other members could help you though.

Old 09-19-2006, 04:20 AM
1st Gear

i think its got lsd it shur as hell feels like it.but its a scary thoth of losing a evo and regrating it.but u can put a apr stage 2 chip and exhast it should get u about 260 bhp.and with a apexi electronic boost controller 5hp every psi and even if u boost low like 16 thats 30hp.so i mean the a3 is not hopples not at all.good luck

Old 09-19-2006, 05:25 AM
SoCal Crew Member

how much would the boost controller be?

Old 09-19-2006, 11:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Audinam

how much would the boost controller be?
Nam,

NO

You already have plenty of boost for that turbo.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:55 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Chef

Nam,

NO

Hmmm, I'm not sure I understand. How much boost does the stock turbo make? Anyway, I know that tuning the fuel and timing maps makes more power (usually). But I know that to make more power in turbo charged cars, one can increase the boost. In the EVO, that's what the "chips" and "reflashes" do. They tune the fuel and timing and raise the boost. You can also add a boost controller and some sort of fuel management. I personally don't like the boost controller option because it can be very dangerous for the engine. All you have to do is run a little too much boost in a cold day and run lean. Next thing you know, one or more of your cylinders/pistons are toast. Been there, done that [X(]
I might be mistaken, but it seems that the Audi cars are tuned in such a way that they run very "safe". Seems to me that you can even run less than "premium" gasoline. This would allow some leeway with the timing maps and boost to make them more powerful. I also don't know the details of the blower in the 2.0. It seems to have very little turbo lag....

Old 09-19-2006, 07:19 PM

You are correct. There really is no turbo lag. I test drove a WRX and the A3 and picked the A3 for many reasons, including the fact that you can drive the car below 2k if you want. There is no waiting around for the turbo to spool and there is no real difference in power from the WRX after the chip. I really think the 2.0 would be better for your specifications. Good luck man.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:09 PM
SoCal Crew Member

ORIGINAL: Chef

Nam,

NO

Thanks dad for keeping me in check!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-19-2006, 11:20 PM
1st Gear

in 100% stock form on 91 gas, it puts out a solid 11psi boost. with the ocational spike around 13-14psi before the wastegate fully opens. Boost drops off rather quickly after about 5000rpm and by redline is under 5psi, which is why the torque fades so drastically in high rpm.

Old 09-20-2006, 03:06 AM

In response to everything said...I would never suggest adding a boost controller without very good knowledge how the engine works and the ability to control the air and gas mixtures for the recommended boost. Also, if you are chipped, then adding more boost is about as stupid as you can get. Turbos are only able to run a certain level of boost...more boost = lower turbo life, overboost = turbo broken and possible complete engine failure.

Think...BOOM!

Nam,

You're welcome son.

Cheers!