Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

The A3 iPod Intergration Rip-off

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 03:27 AM
Default RE: The A3 iPod Intergration Rip-off

I just picked up my A3 last week from the dealer, so hi everyone! My final little bargaining chip with the dealership was the ol "throw in X and you've got yourself a deal", X in this case being the Audi iPod integration kit. Let me tell you, I am SO GLAD I didnt pay for this straight up... I have had my A3 for a week, and I already pulled out the factory iPod kit and installed the DICE kit, which is 100 times better (I got it new off eBay for 140 shipped). The factory system locks out the ipod interface. This is absolutely ridiculous. Why would they design it this way? Some people may be fine with having access to the 5 playlists, but to me that defeats the purpose of the iPod, which is to have easy access to your entire music library. DICE delivers on this, plus you get an aux input. This is a no-brainer if you ask me. They're charging 400 bucks to install a drastically inferior product. It seems like any of the other options mentioned on this board would be light years ahead of the factory system. If I had done my homework on the factory kit a little better, I would've tried to get the roof rack or something (anything) else thrown in instead.

So, anyone interested in buying a factory iPod integration kit? Eh?

Old 08-12-2007, 04:58 AM
1st Gear

yeah that is one poorly designed gadget...who would want 5 playlists??

Old 08-12-2007, 09:41 AM
1st Gear

I just ordered an 08.
The ipod interface is a $250 option now.
You have to have S-Line or Premium package to get it.

I ended up ordering the Nav system with Sirius and Bose which comes with your choice of cd changer or ipod interface.
I got the ipod interface since cd changers are going the way of the dodo bird and I never use them.
Not sure how much I'll use the ipod based on the complaints I see, but I also have the 2 sd cards so not that worried about it.
I might eventually switch it out with Dice or something.
I cant believe Audi still puts cassette players in their cars. Might as well have an 8-track too!

In response to bose/no bose and audiophiles... there is a big difference between the person who leaves terrestrial radio on low in the background and the person who enjoys multi thousand dollar audiophile equipment in their homes. A decend sound system in tight space like a car can provide a pretty amazing audial experience for the average joe. Bose is definitely better than the stock concert system, although I agree its not really worth what they charge. But in the meantime it will do and it's factory clean.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:51 AM
1st Gear

sounds like you're going to have a sweet sounding ride..
enjoy!

Old 02-04-2008, 08:14 PM
1st Gear

I've got an '07 premium package with the standard Sympohny II stereo. I ordered and intstalled an apadter kit from mp3yourcar.com. They make a kit for the A3 that plugs into the Symphony harness (a lot like the integration kit from the dealer). HOWEVER this kit also has an additional Aux In for your sattelite radio AND won't lock you out of your iPod. So you still have functional contols of your click wheel while also still being able to use your steering wheel controls. Best of both worlds...and it's only two hundo.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:57 PM
1st Gear

hey grover, what is the url of the website that you bought your kit from? I have an 08 3.2 Quattro A3 and am looking to add on the aftermarket ipod system.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:43 AM
1st Gear

i opted for the 3rd party GPS, with mp3 player and fm transmitter, look at garmin and tomtom ... satified, especially since fm tuning works pretty well

Old 02-05-2008, 12:39 PM
1st Gear

Cshecks - it's www.mp3yourcar.com

I just looked and for some reason they don't have a unit for the '08 - but they do for the '07 - which is weird. I would give them a call - there is an 800 number on their website. Good luck!

Old 03-25-2010, 10:14 PM
Default new used A3

I just picked up a nicely used 2007 A3 with the ipod kit. Of course, it is pretty deficient in functionality. Cannot change on the device, etc.

What is the best upgrade to do, to be able to either SEE information on the head unit or simply be able to interface with the ipod to be able to select music?

Having to start playing something, THEN connect or have playlists ready to go JUST for the car is NOT useful to me.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:41 AM
1st Gear

As an old fart, all this ipod integration is too confusing. I have a cheap mp3 player and a cassette adaper, plug it in, press the random button and enjoy the ride.