Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A3 not idling properly. It stalls everytime you start it up...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 05:15 AM
Default A3 not idling properly. It stalls everytime you start it up...

Somebody please help... [&:]

I bought a 1998 Audi A3 1.8 (non-turbo) yesterday, its a manual. When I arrived at the traders he'd already started it up, so we couldn't do all the necessary checks from cold. But didnt think much of it. Now we've bought it we've realised its dodgy!

When you start the car up from cold it just stalls, again and again. I have to sit and rev to warm it up just so I can drive away without it stalling halfway down the road. When started up it seems to be idling at around 700rpm. Is this too low?

I just need some advise...is it likely that the idle just needs turning up a notch, or could it be something more sinister.

If its the former, is it easy to do? Any advise on turning up idle?

Thanks,
Michelle

Old 10-14-2007, 10:53 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: A3 not idling properly. It stalls everytime you start it up...

Stalling is often fuel delivery - could be as simple as needing a new fuel filter, might need a new pump, it could be lots of things. Did you have a professional mechanic check it out prior to purchase?

Old 10-14-2007, 10:59 AM

only a guess but it sounds like the coolant temp sensor or a vacuum line is off so get fault codes

Old 10-23-2007, 07:37 AM

Thanks for the advise guys.
Its been in my matesworkshop for a week. Turns out it needed a new throttle body. Managed to get a second hand one for cheap.
Still haven't got it back tho cos it needs cambelt change etc as well cos turns out the Audi service history was fake!
I've been well and truly done!
[:@]

Old 10-23-2007, 04:22 PM
1st Gear

thats super shady. sorry to hear man. karma will play out though.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:52 AM

And there's more... need a new radiator, brakes pads/discs all round, cambelt change cos service history was a fake...the list goes on!
I have well an truly learnt my lesson. Always get a man to check over the car!
So, the car is now running fine, but on diagnostics it is showing up with a fault with the throttle body. Not sure of the fault code tho. The mechanic and electrician guy are baffled, they have checked everything and can't find the answers.
I know that without a fault code you peeps prob can't help, but thought i'd mention it.
[&o]
Michelle

Old 10-30-2007, 05:50 PM
1st Gear

The stalling happened to me for the first time this morning.

Since my A3 will be 1 yr old in November, I have already put 16,000 miles on it. So, I decided to leave it in my garage and give it a rest for 3 days. This morning was the first time I started it up since last Friday and it stalled while turning the ignition key, it wouldnt start up the first time, this was after I had the key turning and turning and the engine would just "chug chug chug". I stopped and tryed it again and this time it started without any chugging.

I also just got an oil change done that Friday and havent used my A3 since today, which is Tuesday.

Has this happened to any of you new A3 owners?

Old 10-31-2007, 03:46 AM
2nd Gear

dcny- have you checked your oil level? I have seen a quickie oil change shop forget to tighten the drain plug once. The issue didn't become apparent until the owner of their car noticed oil on the floor of her garage a few days later. Aside from that, did you happen to hear the fuel pump priming when you opened the driver's door before starting? Is it possible that your battery could've been low after sitting? Perhaps the fuel pump wasn't getting enough voltage...

Old 11-01-2007, 10:25 AM
1st Gear

This happened to my mom's Jeep only once. It was strange. She asked me to warm up her car before she left, and it cept stalling right after it started. I had to hold the revs at about 1500 until the engine temp needle moved a bit, then it stayed. The next morning, just as cold, it was perfectly fine...

Old 11-01-2007, 11:12 AM
1st Gear

Here we go again, stalling happened again last night as I was in reverse and backing out of work parking lot.

This morning as well, while in my drive-way warming up. And also at the red-light while stopped.

The car just SHUTS off completely!!!

I know those service guys forgot or did something to my vehicle.

Its just funny the timing on this happening, right after my oil change at Audi service dealer that I DIDNT buy the car from. I should have just stuck with my original dealer like I had been.

Quick Reply: A3 not idling properly. It stalls everytime you start it up...