Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.
View Poll Results: Should I get the recall for my A3 TDI?
Yes. Get the recall done. It's environmental benefits outweigh any changes to performance/economy.
0%
No. The change in performance/economy will be too severe.
100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

A3 TDI Emissions Scandal-How will the eventual software patch affect performance

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 12:16 PM
1st Gear
Default A3 TDI Emissions Scandal-How will the eventual software patch affect performance

NYT Article about the scandal

I live in a no emissions testing state. On the one hand I want to do the right thing by taking my A3 in once the recall is administered. On the other hand, I know it will affect my performance and fuel economy. My question is, "Does anyone have any actual data about how fixing this problem will affect fuel economy and/or performance of the vehicle?

Just for fun, I posted a poll. Should I get the recall done to my car or not?

Old 09-23-2015, 12:40 PM
2nd Gear

From what I've heard there is no recall yet.. since they have to exactly find out what cars are affected and how they need to correct so that they no longer get in trouble.

Official VW statement (in German) I read today was to wait and not do anything. As pointed out this does not affect in anyway driveability or safety. When and if the recall comes on a mass scale - it will likely change performance to reduce emissions.

Personally I would drag it out as long as possible. Eventually you probably won't be able to avoid it since when the next recall comes that is important or when you do go to an Audi dealership for maintenance of any kind, they will flash/update the software anyways (without your permission).

Old 09-23-2015, 12:44 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by sheldon
From what I've heard there is no recall yet.. since they have to exactly find out what cars are affected and how they need to correct so that they no longer get in trouble.

Official VW statement (in German) I read today was to wait and not do anything. As pointed out this does not affect in anyway driveability or safety. When and if the recall comes on a mass scale - it will likely change performance to reduce emissions.

Personally I would drag it out as long as possible. Eventually you probably won't be able to avoid it since when the next recall comes that is important or when you do go to an Audi dealership for maintenance of any kind, they will flash/update the software anyways (without your permission).
I was planning on getting my car's software tuned to increase performance. I am assuming if it does go in for the recall, that tuning will get nixed. Right?

Old 09-23-2015, 01:19 PM
2nd Gear

If you go there to get a recall - yes. Otherwise if they probably just flag TD1 on your car and might not touch it. TD1 is something they flag cars with that have been modified or tuned in anyway so that they have a great excuse to avoid any warranty work.
They should still perform recalls if requested by customer- but you will have to re-flash the car. Most tuner shops will allow you to come back for a re-flash for free once the dealership overwrites it. I would check with the shop.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:50 PM
1st Gear
Default Save Current Programming for after recall occurs

I am not all up and up on what can and cannot be done with computer flashing, but it would be interesting to see if someone saves the current (illegal code) and then re-flashes their ECM with it after the recall flash has been performed. My guess is that once the legal flash is performed, there are going to be thousands of displeased customers, since their once high-performing and economical vehicles will have been turned into a low-performing, thirsty, POS. My guess is that the market will be flooded with a bunch of diesel vehicles that could barely be given away.

Old 09-26-2015, 05:23 AM
1st Gear

I cant help but think that the trade in Value of my A3 just hit the floor. Still a great car but it is tainted now.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:25 PM
2nd Gear

@roomforelvis
Of course you can save it and re-flash it (that is if they don't add some checksum code that makes sure that particular flash will not run again). However why bother if you can always just go to one of the big tuners and not only remove the restrictions but open it up wider so it will perform even better than stock (and better mpg)

@John Nerges
I would be surprised if it keeps its value after all of this (and knowing that a flash to fix this issue will lower the car's performance). However if the car is still great and you don't need to sell it, why bother? personally I wouldn't care and even go tune it now, it's not like it can get any worse