Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A3 vs. B5 S4

Old 02-28-2007, 05:04 PM
SoCal Crew Member
Default A3 vs. B5 S4

https://www.audiforums.com/m_467464/tm.htm

Refer to thread on S Line Forum. I am kind of on the fence between these two cars. I test drove a 2007 A3, 2.0T, S-line, Manual 6, and really liked it. I like the versatility of the hatchback. The A3 is obviously new with a more roomy interior in a small package. I also like the S4 though, with the awd, and biturbos.I will likely go APR with either one. I am trying to run through the pros and cons of each car in my head and am making sure I don't miss something. It will be a car to play with on weekends and to run errands in. I have another car as my commuter. I will never track either car, and I do not street race. I just like to go on drives, and love twisties. My worries of the S4 are reliability, and maintenance costs. I really don't have any worries of the A3. I saw A3 night's 0-60. Anything less than 6 seconds is fast enough for me. Has anyone came from an S4 to an A3 here? Do you appreciate the simplicity of theFront track vs Quattro? Is the 2.0T as "bullitproof" as theB5 biturbo? I figured I would seek advice here too, since I am leaning toward the A3.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:46 AM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: A3 vs. B5 S4

I don't know what kind of Jedi mind tricks you guys are using, but it is working. I am definitely leaning toward the A3. You make a pretty good argument for not saying anything. Besides I think I answered my own question. [sm=vader.gif]

Old 03-02-2007, 03:43 AM
2nd Gear

Hmm, if I could find a low milage (less than 15k miles) on a b5 s4. I would... TAKE IT OVER THE A3 ANYDAY! A stage 3 b5 s4 is a real monster. But, your not looking for major mods so the A3 is perfect for you. A new A3 will def be more reliable than a used S4 and you'll get the peace of mind of the warrenty.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:48 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Unfortunately,. all of the lower mileage b5 S4s in my area are asking too much ~$24,000. I've tried talking these owners down to $20k, but they won't budge. I'd rather spend a bit more and get a nice new A3. Like you said, peace of mind with the warranty + I'll get all the options I want. After the current lease promo Audi is offering on the A3, does anyone think Audi will offer any discounts for purchasing?

Search this Thread