Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A3 vs. WRX

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 05:53 AM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: A3 vs. WRX

ORIGINAL: turbo_h4

I've thought about the a3 would have less challengers, and I do like that fact. however, I'm not a big fan of fwd cars. It's in fact the only fwd I've considered for this purchase because it offers audi luxury at a very low cost. But sometimes I think I'm too young to drive a luxury european car. I'm just 21 at the moment, and just got my first real job. Sometimes I feel that if I don't get a sports car now, I will never be able to get one. My next car would probably be a family car.

Any comments on the finer details of the car? (Not only performance) Things like audio, comfort, daily driven issues, etc. Like, the A3 is supposed to be more luxury and comfy, but the back seats are rather squishy with 3 people in the back. I would love to hear these comments as well.

Some cars that were mentioned:
G35 coupe 6spd sport, it has everything I want, and is one of my dream cars, but that's a little over budget.
S2000, i like it, but not for a daily driven car, I need more seats for now, drive a lot of friends.
rx8, I love the rotary engine, but not a big fan of the 8.
sti, overbudget.
evo, not available in canada, and overbudget
skylines......OHHH BABY! hahah, but not available here, only r32, but getting on in years and hard to find parts.
RS4.......*drool*

I'm still undecided though.

btw, turbo_i4 is a good one though! lol. but i used this name for many years, even before i got my license.
hey, i'm 23 and drive an A3. it offers BOTH sport and luxury, hard to find that with rice rockets.

rx8? shitty torque, and mazda ALWAYS has problems with their engines and tranny because of the rotory block.
evo not available in canada? REALLY? WHY?
RS4? keep dreaming to win the lottery.
G35? drive a lot of friends? two doors aint for you, but four doors don't look nice for a 21 year old.

i say the A3, then chip it and exhaust, you'll be the happiest guy on earth.

Old 07-20-2006, 06:58 AM
1st Gear

You can't really comment on the reliability of the RX8's engine since it hasn't been out that long. From what I've read, and from a few people I know who have them, there are no current problems with the engine.

Mazda claim, anyway to have solved the wear problems with this configuration engine. I would agree that both specs of engine lack a lot of torque.

Old 07-21-2006, 04:38 AM
1st Gear

For the record, I ran through Hwy 17 San Jose to Santa Cruz with a WRX sti on a rainy night back in December. (I'm not a racer by any means) I have an A4 3.2, I was able to keep with him and even passed him twice, but the road was pretty curvy. All I can say is I was very impressed with the subaru, normally I dust most people going through 17, but that damn Subaru passed me a few times and I struggled to stay with him towards the end. It was hella fun though, but I know had the road not been so curvy I would have got wasted. I have a new found respect for them, rice rocket or not. I envy your choices.

Old 08-22-2006, 03:22 AM
1st Gear

Just got rid of my WRX Wagon for the 2007 A3 3.2 Quattro.

WRX=cheap thrills

A3=thrills wrapped in leather.

Don't get me wrong...the WRX is a nice little car, but once you get in the A3, it looks like it was made for real humans...not some ergo-dummy. Controls always seemed a bit crude and ill placed (however, not as ill-placed as my 1985 911 was). Audi has all the creature comforts and tracks like a laser. WRX always seemed a bit twitchy on the highway, which is fun, but it wears you out on a long drive.

Good luck. Get your wallet open and get the A3.

ep
Chicago

Old 08-23-2006, 08:32 PM
2nd Gear

i've read the whole post and figured i'd throw in a bone. have you or can you look into a used car? there are a lot of people that are dumping their 2004 r32 for either a b7 s4 or rs4; it was just their go between car. it's vw, so kinda like a down graded audi for interior but not as cloth and plastic as a wrx. 4 motion, 250hp, leather interior, about the same space inside as an a3 and i've seen them going for around 24k u.s. with avg. 15k mi. on ebay. they supposedly have times close to an s4 for both 0-60 and top end. don't know if you want newsed, but this might be an option if you want speed and comfort.