Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Adding VF CAI to Revo/Milltek setup A3 3.2 DSG

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 07:11 PM
1st Gear
Default Adding VF CAI to Revo/Milltek setup A3 3.2 DSG

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and a first time Audi buyer. Got an 08 A3 3.2 sline DSG in April...lava grey, titanium package,xenon lights,opensky, bluetooth, nav, cold package and yes I got the pretty lame Ipod adapter which I am still trying to find out if it really only plays 100 songs offa play list or how that all works.

Anyway, I just a few days ago got the Revo flash and Miltek exhaust. I realize the relative gain compared to all of you 2.0 boosted guys is less, but I have to say I was pretty surprised at how much a difference it has made – felt as though the engine was asleep prior to the mods.

I suspect what I am feeling now is a torque curve more suited to street driving paired with modest gains to HP and torque overall. But the biggest difference is throttle response where the setting was changed from 3 (stock) to 9 with the flash. My switch is backordered so I can't play around myself yet but I may try to adjust after driving more and getting further input from others on the forum.

>>My main question is if anyone has installed a VF CAI? I am about to pull the trigger on that and believe coupled with the Revo and exhaust it will make a difference but wanted any input from people that have installed a VF. I had a CAI/exhaust/chip setup on my BMW 540 through Dinan so I am familiar with the whole concept but mostlly interested in this particular application if anyone has used VF on a 3.2 engine. After I do the CAI not sure what else I can do so if anyone has recommendations let me know. The turbo kit is 15k or something so that is out of the question and doesn't make sense for me.

http://www.vf-engineering.com/vf-accessories/acc-airintake_a332.php

Old 05-29-2008, 07:41 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Adding VF CAI to Revo/Milltek setup A3 3.2 DSG

I have that similar setup you're looking for, Revo | Milltek | VF CAI. Not sure about the total help in HP adding the VF, but it sounds great and I'm sure it does help a bit. Here's my dyno (on a AWD setup) with everything

Name:  f26dd902.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  80.1 KB

My next mod is the Haldex Gen 2 controller upgrade, which will assist in Torque control.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:36 PM
1st Gear

Hello again, Cain! I still don't know my current Revo settings because my tuner has been out of town a little longer than expected. I think we're going to tweak things a little more though. I'm stopping with the chip and exhaust though...the stealership told me outright that they will nix the warranty if any aftermarket intake is installed, and I've heard a few things from longtime Audi owners about the Haldex controller putting a strain on the gearbox over the long haul (they may be wrong, but I'm not chancing it, at least while in warranty).

Old 05-29-2008, 05:11 PM
1st Gear

krazyboi and drum - thanks for the replies and input, I am a complete noob on Audi so this is really helpful.

krazy - sounds like you are happy with the VF intake so that is good to hear. Did you do the CAI at the same time as the Revo and exhaust or add it later?

I am also curious as to what you expect to gain with the haldex upgrade and what that is all about. I was thinking about that one myself and haven't done much research on it as I had planned to do the revo/miltek and cai first. Any pointers on where I should go to read up on that mod?

Given what drum is saying I have been hesitant to do the cai as I am nervous the dealership will play the warranty game on me. I am gonig to a new owner event at the dealership June 10 and I am going to flat out ask them to see what they say.

Drum - when you tuner is back perhaps you can have him increase the throttle response setting. I really think that made a big difference for me. Again my settings are 5, 4, 9. I do think the exhaust lets you get more out of the flash and without it the gains will be further hampered.

Back to the CAI, I just loved the sound on the Dinan 540 but the dealership honored the warranty with that work. Did they say they would nix the entire warranty if an intake was installed or just warranty related items to MAF and other similar codes or problems?

Old 05-29-2008, 05:21 PM
1st Gear

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3716381

Also try the R32 forum, plenty of good information there. Unless you want the sound effect, CAI isn't going to do much in terms of performance.

Do a search on Haldex controller in the vortex R32 forum, lots of good stuff.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:00 AM
1st Gear

Cain,I did the exhaust first, then Revo, VF last....basically in the order that they came out from the manufacturers for the 3.2s. Iust installed the Haldex on Saturday and was able to play w/ it a little today (Sunday) through twistys on backroads. Fun stuff!

As far as more question, you should probably listen to eltonsi. He knows wayyy more stuff then I do when it comes to performance. I just spend money and play around :P

Old 06-02-2008, 01:04 PM
1st Gear

My local dealer has already played so many subtle games with me, I backed off from asking about what exactly would be voided by CAI. They can't legally deny warranty work unless a fault is caused directly by an aftermarket part, though.

Maybe I'll do an intake after the warranty is up, if I still have the car. As it stands for now, I'll keep the car past 100K miles as long as it remains reliable...if problems start up before 50K then I'll trade it in before 60K.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:01 PM
1st Gear

Hey Cain.
I'm actually looking at a similar setup that you just got. Miltek exhaust/revo/VF CAI. But I have no idea on where to begin getting to parts. What did you do, if you dont mind me asking? Order the parts, take it all to a factory to put em in for you? or did you just go to a shop and they had everything there for you? thanks

Old 06-03-2008, 07:23 PM
1st Gear

Honestly, I'd say try to DIY. I don't have much wrenching experience, but still gave these things a shot. The intake is easy. The exhaust wasn't hard either (2 man job b/c of weight). The chip, isn't really a chip, but software and that's all included in the price. If you don't feel comfortable, find a Revo dealer that does installations and have them do it all at once.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:50 PM
1st Gear

Hi A3s415 - I did all my mods through a local installer that specializes in Porche/Audi (http://www.autobahnperformance.com/). I am holding off on the VF for the moment given differing opinions on the gains that it yields and also a lack of certainty on warranty impact.

the REvo/miltek combination is great, just make sure you have them max out the throttle response on the settings if you go wtih the revo ecu flash/switch.

Quick Reply: Adding VF CAI to Revo/Milltek setup A3 3.2 DSG