Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Air Condition

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 01:21 PM
1st Gear
Default Air Condition

Ok fellas,

To get your A3's really COOL in this Summer heat, what is your preferred A/C settings?

I prefer mine at "Low/Low" temp on both dual controls. It seems like it takes quite awhile for the interior to really cool off, and this is at full blast, I think.

I know this sounds silly, but am I maybe hitting the wrong control for the A/C?

What do you guys do when you first enter your car in extreme heat and need that A/C pumping?

what are your controls and settings set at?

Old 07-30-2007, 01:42 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Air Condition

Don't have my A3 yet but in my other Audi's all I have ever done is open the windows for a minute or two when i first get in and start driving to let most of the hot air blow out. The air inside the car is hotter than the air outside the car. Then I close the windows and let the auto ac do its job. The only time i ever mess with the fan speed or temp settings is when I need to quiet things down like if I was on the phone or something or if i need a slight temp adjustment.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:44 PM
1st Gear

Windows and Open Sky cracked open when parked (but I have the OS screens closed)
Sun Screen up in the windshield
Low / Low - set on Auto

I'm nice and comfy in a very short period of time.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:53 PM
1st Gear

A day like today is not too bad since I'm garage parked downtown and out of the sun. It's very easy for the air conditioner to cool the car. Some days I'm parked outside at another work site and the car bakes in the sun all day. I usually keep the sunshade closed and crack the open sky during the day along with a sun screen for the front window. Keeping the open sky open really helps.

I leave my settings at 67 degrees on each side. I start out for a few minutes and crack all the windows then after about two minutes, then close all windows and open sky.

It still takes a while to cool down....much more so than my TT did but there was much less air volume to cool in the TT.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:12 PM
1st Gear

My preferred method for a cool-as-possible A3 is as follows:
[ul][*] didn't get the OpenSky system which places additional load on the A/C system[*] opted for a lighter, heat-reflecting color[*] keep windows open 2" if one must park in the sun[*]use a silver windshield cover when parked[*]drive with windows open with A/C operating at maximum fan speed when first entering car[*]close windows and utilize "recycle air" setting so previously cooled and dehumidified air is efficiently reprocessed
[/ul]

Old 07-30-2007, 02:39 PM

I agree with everything said, and add that if you tint the windows, it helps a LOT! Keep the sunroof cracked open, the shades drawn, and a reflective windshield cover up front.

Cheers!

Old 07-30-2007, 03:22 PM
1st Gear

Wow, seems like most of you dont use the A/C much.

Just leave the windows or open sky cracked open a bit, a sun visor, and tint will keep the car cool.
Those are all things that I usually do, especially when its really sunny and hot out.
But those leather seats are still scorching and the interior of the car is boiling hot.
Its the humidity that needs to be removed, so the A/C is a must.

I am not one to put the A/C on just because of a little heat, but it gets VERY humid here in the NY/NJ area.

"Low/Low" with "Auto" turned on has been working pretty good to remove the humidity from the interior.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:26 PM
1st Gear

dcny, i think you misunderstood.
We all use the AC.
I'm in houston, for god's sake. Hot and Humid is the norm here.
The tips listed are ways to cool the car off faster, which unless I am mistaken is what you asked about in your first post.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:06 PM
2nd Gear

Blue jays hit it right on the money for what i do, except for leaving the wdws 2' open (summer rainy season)
Also dont forget to keep the sun out of the car's open sky block it with some non mesh material black out from home depot cut to size.
I'm affraid at the end of the day its still hot as shiat when you get in.[:-]

Old 08-01-2007, 05:05 PM
2nd Gear

I also open the windows for the first few minutes of driving to suck out the hot air. After that, I pretty much just leave the A/C on auto and choose what temp I want. Sometimes, if I am driving for a long period, the air blowing on me will get annoying and then I will manually control the fan speed. Otherwise, I pretty much let it do it's thing. I've never been a huge fan of these auto climate control systems, but Audi seemed to hit the nail on the head with this one.

Quick question: There are two buttons in my A3 that seem to indicate recirculating air. One of them has a letter on it, an 'A' if I remember correctly. What are the differences between these two? Also, what exactly does the economy button do? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Air Condition