Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Audi A3 2.0T Cooling Fan Puzzler

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 06:22 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi A3 2.0T Cooling Fan Puzzler

My 2008 A3 was running great until a relatively minor accident damaged the cooling fans, coolant and A/C radiators. All were replaced with new original equipment equivalents. Because of bent front frame arms the engine had to be pulled. The only problem is that after almost any drive of more than 10 to 15 minutes at any air temperature or driving speed the fans roar as loud as the engine itself. The fans roar while the engine is running and for 5 minutes after the engine is stopped. Previously this would only happen very rarely after heavy traffic on very hot days. The coolant temperature indicator always warms up and sits steadily on 50%. An Audi specialty mechanic checked the computer, under hood air temp sensor for accuracy, and reviewed the turbo temp sensor to confirm that it responded normally. The mechanic concluded that the temperature sensors are normal and the fans are doing what they are designed for. Just today I started the car to back up 5 ft on the street. When I turned it off one fan was running very quietly. After a minute the second fan started and they ramped up to mid speed and both stopped after 5 minutes. I am convinced that the fans sound like they are running way harder than they used to but don’t know what else to check. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:03 AM
1st Gear

when you say oe equivalents .... are these still non-oem parts? that might be your problem right there -