Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Audi A3 8P split-frame to single-frame grille conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 10:16 AM
Default Audi A3 8P split-frame to single-frame grille conversion

I've got an 04 reg A3 with the split grill. It looks as thoughthe new style single grill should fit but i've have not seen any kits around.

Does anyone have any info that could help. Is the new grill even compatible with the slightly earlier models?

Thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/28274/0C7709113A2447D8A4AC941083C91174.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/28274/DC9FC2E3882D4BF3BB2573E91579F96F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-20-2006, 02:47 PM
Default RE: It looks like it should fit!

I wouldn't count on them fitting. Didn't the platform change in 2005-2006 in Europe too? Maybe spot out a newer A3 in a lot and do some quick measurements to see if it is anywhere close? I just hope the owner isn't a huge mean looking fellow that catches you "looking" at his car.[:-]

Cheers!

Old 12-20-2006, 03:19 PM

Cheers, i 'll try not to get caught. There is a 55 plate A3 up the street so i might do an Delta Force recon mission under the cover of darkenss on that one.

So presuming i cant just go down the breakers yard and get a new single grill and fit it... do you know of any aftermarket conversion/ body kits?

Ta.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:46 AM
1st Gear

Hi JC,

I've had the same dilemma as you since I bought my '53 plate A3 a few weeks ago, aren't the new grills just sooo much nicer?? ( I personally prefer the back end of my car to the newer ones though!)

I searched around on forums with no luck, I can't believe more people haven't considered this! Anyway I finally stumbled accross a few solutions... but none of them are tested yet!

Firstly you could replace the whole bumber with an aftermarket alternative such as:

found here.

I didn't go for this option, mainly because there is a lot of work involved with priming, painting and fitting, but also because I don't want to mod my car too much for insurance reasons. Plus I didn't really like the look of any bumper replacements I found, and I'm sure loads of people on here will tell you to keep your car OEM. I'm all for personalising your car, but apparently it's not the way to go! [:-]

The second option I found was much cheaper, and easier but just didn't do the car justice...

found by searching for "Audi A3 8P singleframe grille chrome" or similar on eBay. These look 'goodish' on the pictures above but I'm not sure how good they'd look close up, and if you don't have a black car( like me, I have dolphin grey) then you're going to have a coloured strip within the grille anyway, which spoils the illusion, along with the horizontal chrome bars of the original grille.

Finally, the option I chose was this:

That was exactly what I was looking for! It's a great looking solution, requires virtually no work at all and is relatively cheap compared to the first suggestion! [8D]

It's made by a German company called ABT, but can be bought in the UK from here. Just select your car and browse the 'styling' section!

I'm still waiting for mine to be delivered, as of an order placed over a week ago now, but when it does arrive I'll give an opinion but probably not a fitment guide until after Christmas, if I bother at all!

As a final option, apparently Audi offer their own singleframe conversion for our grilles, but at a higher price than the ABT. I didn't look further into this,I only read it here.

Well I hope this helped someway towards answering your question! Can I suggest you rename the subject of the post to something along the lines of "Audi A3 8P split-frame to single-frame grille conversion options" I know it's long winded but it will create better results for people searching for it, and may inspire people who are just browsing the forum! It's up to you though.

As I'm on a picture posting run, here's my totally stock car, which it won't be shortly after christmas!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Wes

Old 12-21-2006, 07:46 AM
Default Audi A3 8P split-frame to single-frame grille conversion

Cheers pal. That is exactly what i was looking for. Excellent advice!

I am surprised that more people are not trying to do this conversion.

I'm going to re-name the thread too.

Once again, thanks.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:04 PM
Default RE: Audi A3 8P split-frame to single-frame grille conversion

I'm interested in this conversion too.

Madeye /Wes, I'd appreciate a review from you when you get your kit - good luck!

(Oh, I'm also going to make enquiries here in the UK about an official Audi conversion kit. Might be pricey, but could pay off in terms of minimising depreciation)

Cheers,
Snips

Old 07-04-2008, 06:23 AM
Default RE: Audi A3 8P split-frame to single-frame grille conversion

hi,
i have an audi a3 02 reg myselfand i managed to do this conversiion,i have posted some pics of it below,there is a company onlinewhich sells the bumper you will need to do this conversion, however it comesminus the grille, i cannot remember what they were called but they are based in england and the guy on the phone was very helpful, the grille however is the tricky part, i had to order thisfrom audi direct, cost me around 120,it was a real pain finding the right grille, because they are not all the same, (i.e 03 and o4 reg a3's have different size grilles, and come in 2 parts for exampleetc.) the grille i had put on mine wasthe black grille i think audi said they took it off a new shape a4 (a late model), however this was still not a perfect fit i had to have it cut down so that it would fit properly into the bumper inserts.I knowthis isn't a lot of details for you but just letting you know that it definetly be done!But when the job was doen it looks great. Im selling this car at the moment aswell so if anyone's interested get in touch! 1.8 turbo 02 reg, full s3 bodykit minus the front bumper, call me on 07866 91 91 38 or email mardy_1@hotmail.com

Hope this was some help for you.

Cheers