Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

BOV/DV?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 03:31 PM
1st Gear
Default BOV/DV?

HEy all,

I just had my A3 APR chipped and installed a Nuespeed intake installed, i know the dv needs to be upgraded to a better one after car is chipped, which one should i get? the BOV or the DV?

Also,since i installed the Neuspeed intake, do i have to get the Neuspeed 100% Carbon Fiber Engine Cover too from eurocodetuning? will it damage the engine/car if i dont?

thanks.

Old 12-27-2006, 03:42 PM
Default RE: BOV/DV?

ORIGINAL: audi28XWJ

HEy all,

I just had my A3 APR chipped and installed a Nuespeed intake installed, i know the dv needs to be upgraded to a better one after car is chipped, which one should i get? the BOV or the DV?

Also,since i installed the Neuspeed intake, do i have to get the Neuspeed 100% Carbon Fiber Engine Cover too from eurocodetuning? will it damage the engine/car if i dont?

thanks.
Congrats on chipping your car. I imagine you have a huge perma-grin on your face now.

On the 2006 A3's they used a "B" DV which has since been upgraded by a slightly stronger "C" DV. I suggest you upgrade to the new one if you have a 2006MY. There is an additional Forge BOV you can get that works with the OEM DV but all it will give you is a louder blow off sound from the DV.

You do NOT need to get the engine cover and nothing will be damaged, etc. I've contemplated it for the looks, but why spend money for something nobody ever sees except at a GTG. If I had a show car then I'd buy it, otherwise save your money.

Cheers!

Old 12-27-2006, 04:17 PM
1st Gear

Yes, I have a huge grin. But the power scares me a little, my P tires cant handle it. Is the forge BOV good enough or should i get the aluminium DV instead? DV is 100 more. Thanks for heads up, Chef.

Old 12-27-2006, 05:20 PM

ORIGINAL: audi28XWJ

Yes, I have a huge grin. But the power scares me a little, my P tires cant handle it. Is the forge BOV good enough or should i get the aluminium DV instead? DV is 100 more. Thanks for heads up, Chef.
Get the "C" type OEM Diverter Valve. You can add the Forge BOV for sound if you desire but it has 0 performance gains. Your car will need a diverter valve no matter what. I'm not sure what aluminum DV you are talking about. Look at the link and see the "C" valve I was talking about for a little less scratch then I spent on it.

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...ategory=Intake

Cheers!

Old 12-27-2006, 10:51 PM
2nd Gear

Get the forge that's my opinion, I have the adjustable one and have it on the loudest mode and sounds nice. The other sport cars Subaru, mitsubishi have the valve located more to the top of the engine so its louder, ours is all the way in the bootom of our engine. Make sure you have the right tools or else its going to be more then an hour mod. Good luck.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:45 PM
1st Gear

Sorry to bring up a old topic, but I wanted to see if the Forge BOV ( http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/p...oducts_id=1281) would make it sound like STi's and such.

Right now, it's a really low pitched sound. I was just wondering if this would make it higher pitched, like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdM2tQ0qVbI(is300, but the sound is what is important! )

Old 03-06-2007, 08:07 PM
1st Gear

You're thinking of putting a BOV on a DV system? Sorry, but if I recall correctly, that's a big no no.

Quoted from a different forum:
The Audi turbo system is a closed loop system by which all unused boost that is spooled during off throttle and gear shifts must be re-routed within the system; it cannot be vented to the atmosphere due to the dependence on the MAF and ECU to properly read and interpret air flow dynamics within the intake tract. Therefore BOV's[/b] (Blow-Off Valves) are not used because they create a rich air/fuel condition (i.e. less air to fuel ratio) which will damage the catalytic converter, create soot on the exhaust pipes, and cause occasional misfiring (due to the purged air) which will result in ECU miscalculated timing adjustments and other errors.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:13 PM
2nd Gear

Find out where the dv is located on an is 300 , reason why is this if it's located on top of the engine like the sti you will hear it in a louder fashion. If its located near the bottom of the engine like our A3's it's not as loud but you can still hear it clearly.

same as i said before.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:29 PM
1st Gear

It will make it louder, not sure if it will sound like the STi that you are referring to but it will be audible.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:56 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Chef

Congrats on chipping your car. I imagine you have a huge perma-grin on your face now.

On the 2006 A3's they used a "B" DV which has since been upgraded by a slightly stronger "C" DV. I suggest you upgrade to the new one if you have a 2006MY. There is an additional Forge BOV you can get that works with the OEM DV but all it will give you is a louder blow off sound from the DV.

You do NOT need to get the engine cover and nothing will be damaged, etc. I've contemplated it for the looks, but why spend money for something nobody ever sees except at a GTG. If I had a show car then I'd buy it, otherwise save your money.

Cheers!
So any A3 pre-2007 uses the "B" type DV? Which means my Apr-06 A3 would very much appreciate this mod I suspect [sm=smiley25.gif]