Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Can there be a DPF problem with the engine light coming on and loss of power?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 11:28 AM
1st Gear
Default Can there be a DPF problem with the engine light coming on and loss of power?

Hi!

I have looked through the forum and haven't found something similar...

I was driving my 2006 a3 1.9 diesel at around 50 km/h when all of a sudden I experienced loss of power throughout all gears except 1st. I made it to my father's house and then about a half hour later I left for the market (only 1 km away). Again there was a loss of power. Leaving the market for home (1 km away), when I started the car, the engine light came on and the car ran fine all the way home.

Since we had to go to our mechanic to pick up our other car that was being fixed, we asked him the hook up his computer to the car and see if he could diagnose something.

He came back and told us there was something wrong with the DPF and it needed either cleaning or if it could not be cleaned, replaced. Just as a note, we trust this mechanic very well and he's always done a good job at a good price...

... however, I was a bit curious so I went online to do some research.

Base on what I found, I noticed that there is a DPF light in the car that should illuminate if there is a problem (then I should drive over 2000 rpms for some distance, etc.) I could not find anything linking the DPF with the engine light.

Now when we drove home from the mechanic, the engine light turned off... I did, to be sure, tighten the gas cap.

So my question is, can there be a DPF problem that is indicated by the engine light alone and can a DPF problem lead to power loss?

Thank you in advance and if any more details are needed I can try to answer.

Andy in Slovenia

Old 08-24-2012, 01:23 AM
1st Gear

andy, you might be waiting a very long time for an answer --- not many diesel owners on these forums ....

wish i could help you out ...