Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

CD player errors - Audi acknowledged fault (with no fix!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 05:19 AM
1st Gear
Default CD player errors - Audi acknowledged fault (with no fix!)

Hi,

Just wondering how many of you are getting "cd error - service" whilst playing audio (no mp3) cd's in the new OEM head unit?
Only very intermittent, the media is ok and the point when it happens is variable. Never happens during mp3 playback. Thought it was just an odd cd but it seems to happen on all audio cd's.
Audi are apparently aware of this problem and suggest it is something to do with copy protection on newer cd's. Not entirely convinced on that and am looking for a solution to this annoying problem.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:50 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: CD player errors - Audi acknowledged fault (with no fix!)

Is nobody else getting skipping during playback of audio cd's on this newer OEM head unit?
My main dealer suggests this is a known issue with newer (2000 on) cd's to do with copy protection. I am seeing newer cd's as more prone to skipping but even older cd's still do this occasionally. Never happens to mp3 files.
Seems reaonable to expect a cd player that does not do this.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Default RE: CD player errors - Audi acknowledged fault (with no fix!)

Getting the same issue on an MP3 CD I created. worked fine for 2-3 weeks now will not even eject.

Dealer doing the usual helpdesk routine of trying to get you to repeat everything you've already done

Marvo
2007 A4 2.0Tdi S-Line Special Edition 170

Old 08-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Default CD player problem

Me too, in my 2007 A3 1.8T in Brisbane, Australia. My home-compiled MP3 CD jammed with "Error" on the display requiring a new unit to be brought in from Germany. When I got my car back from the repair I was told in no uncertain terms that the edges of that CD were rough (it was a Verbatin CD-R), that I couldn't use ANY home-burned MP3 CDs and that if I did they could refuse to repair the unit again under warranty. I was also given a 2-page AUDI warning obviously printed out from Audi's internet. I wrote to HQ pointing out that the manual states that the unit can play MP3s and that the only source of MP3s on disk is to burn them yourself. I thought it reasonable that they should tell me which brands of CDs are OK. They acknowledged my letter but didn't reply to the main point. I'm now trying TDK CD-R XA80 AUDIO blank CDs for recording my MP3s. These say "...ensuring safe use in car CD players ..." so if these CDs jam I'm really going to read the riot act.

Cheers everyone
Sorby

Last edited by Sorby; 08-23-2008 at 07:16 PM. Reason: to improve expression
Old 08-25-2008, 09:23 AM
1st Gear

Here in the US 2007 A3 are not able to play CD with MP3. I do play audio CD that I've burned on a variety of media without problems.

To think a disc could actually break a player seems very remote to me. The player shouldn't even be touching the edge.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:18 AM
1st Gear

My unit was producing error messages for a while, but when I took the car in for schedule service, the dealership said there was a bulletin out on it and they'd replace the unit. First it was with mp3 discs. Then it started throwing errors on everything, even not accepting new discs I tried to load.

The new one's been fine, plus it actually has the feature that changes the volume with different ambient noise levels inside the car. The first unit did not have this, nor did it have the option to control this as printed in the manual.