Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Changing red displays?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 09:19 PM
Default Changing red displays?

I would like to get a 2007 Audi A3 sportback for my wife. The problem is, she has a hard time seeing the red displays, (I think she stright up hates them). Is it posible to mod and change the colour to say a blue? I am guessing the big face guages would just be a couple of lights but the led displays would be tricky. Anyone have any info?

Old 04-20-2008, 10:41 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Changing red displays?

If even possible, it would be ridiculously involved and expensive. It took an adjustment period for me to get used to the red displays, but I've found they're much easier on the eyes at night. If it's that big an issue, though, you might want to consider the Mazda 3...the same (if not more) room and the driving dynamics are not bad at all.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:17 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: drumdork03

It took an adjustment period for me to get used to the red displays, but I've found they're much easier on the eyes at night.
+1. I completely agree. I disliked all the red at first, but once I got used to it, I have really come to appreciate it. My gf's Jetta has a blue display that I can hardly stand...and I HATE getting into a car with funky green displays.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:46 PM
1st Gear

On a side note. The wave length of red light doesn't cause your pupils to constrict. Therefore, red light is optimal for night driving, because your night vision does not get affected by looking at the in dash display. It's this kind of attention to detail that I love about Audi. You will get used to the red light after a couple of days. It's not that bad. All the other LEDs in the car are also red (e.g. door opener light, cigarette lighter, buttons and even the ambient light that stays on all the time and slightly illuminates the dashboard area. You will find that the display matches the interior "look" of the A3 at night.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:19 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: chief

On a side note. The wave length of red light doesn't cause your pupils to constrict. Therefore, red light is optimal for night driving, because your night vision does not get affected by looking at the in dash display. It's this kind of attention to detail that I love about Audi. You will get used to the red light after a couple of days. It's not that bad. All the other LEDs in the car are also red (e.g. door opener light, cigarette lighter, buttons and even the ambient light that stays on all the time and slightly illuminates the dashboard area. You will find that the display matches the interior "look" of the A3 at night.
I'm with chief. Red light is actually the only light that doesn't hurt your night vision. While blue light looks cool, it makes your eyes tired at night faster than any other light spectrums. I switched to A3 from a Mazda3 so the red light is never a problem. I also had a chance to take a long road trip in a 07 Camery a few months ago and oh-my-god the white-ish blue glow in the dash was killing me. I had to change the dimmer on the dimest setting so i can see the road clearly. Trust me, you can't go wrong with Audi's red LEDs. The minimalistic interior/lighting of Audi is one of my favorite feature of Audi.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:35 PM

Thank you all for your insight. It's very much appreciated. I love a good forum!

Old 04-22-2008, 12:05 AM
1st Gear

Advise your wife to give the red illumination a chance.
It's very gentle on the ol' rods & cones of the eye and far superior to the bluish-white so common these days.
I wouldn't have any other color, even if given a customized choice.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:49 AM
1st Gear

123...I love the red too! At any rate, keeps us posted on what you and your wife decide, even if you don't join the A3 family! But I agree with everyone...took me 2 days to get used to it...and now I can't part with it! Had a BMW with the orange gauges the other day...drove me nuts in the night, especially in the rain!

Plus, tell your wife, the red LEDs in the cabin will give intensify the natural allure of her skin tone....I have found this to be true...at least in the Asian women in my car

Old 04-22-2008, 09:07 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: TPE_A3

Plus, tell your wife, the red LEDs in the cabin will give intensify the natural allure of her skin tone....I have found this to be true...at least in the Asian women in my car
I'ma tell my fiancee this and see what she has to say about that.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:29 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: TPE_A3

That's good. Note to self: Mention to wife how the wheeze of the the DV compliments her vocal tone.

Quick Reply: Changing red displays?