Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Coolant loss, strange revs and an indeopendantly moving accelerator pedal!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 09:49 AM
1st Gear
Default Coolant loss, strange revs and an indeopendantly moving accelerator pedal!

Hi guys, I have found a few clues in the forums to this but they appear to be old threads so hopefully you won't mind me asking again.

I have a 1999 Audi A3 Sport 1.6L Petrol, since I bought it the revs have always been rather erratic so it's been in the garage a couple of times to have a coupkle of air leaks fixed. This has improved things a tiny amount, but as time progresses it does seem to be getting worse.

Recently I have been getting through coolant very quickly, but it's been majorly hot and every day I get stuck on the seafront in a 10 mile queue on the way to work so no ventilation. I have done a dipstick test and there is no mayo type deposits so hoping it's not the head gasket for the coolant leak.

Also, the accelerator pedal moves independently without me touching it and this appears to be causing the erratic revs. I've heard this is down to a crude fuel saving mechanism that stops overrun?

Also the temperature guage has never ever registered straight up on 90 like all my other cars have.

If anyone could point me in the right direction to solve these related/unrelated issues i'd be really grateful.

Cheers.