General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

gear stick has a lot of movement and accelerator pedal moves?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 10:42 PM
1st Gear
Default gear stick has a lot of movement and accelerator pedal moves?

Wierdest thing. The gear stick moving around I have heard of but when I press the clutch to change gears the accelerator moves away from my foot , not inches, but enough for me to notice the pressure change. Also when accelerating hard (as I'm prone to doing in my v6 and lift off, the gear stick moves??

Whats that all about? I'm hoping its not anything major, but the gear stick has a lot of give in it

Gents/ladies/undecided any ideas?

Yes I'm new and a big hello from Scotland!! (No we're not a part of England.)

Old 03-12-2005, 06:21 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: gear stick has a lot of movement and accelerator pedal moves?

You have a what is commonly referred to as drivetrain "slop". Excess movement from worn engine mounts most likely. The torque is being transferred wherever it can - so you're getting it in the shifter and elsewhere because they are "at the end of the line".
================================================== ================================================== ===============
BTW:
Welcome to Audi Forums CalaD!

Since you're new... check out the START HERE! (click this link) link to get a rundown of the lingo/vocab here at audiforums.

Then be sure to search the archives when you have a question. Chances are the question has been asked before (probably several times) and the archives will have plenty of information to answer your question. If you still need answers, please feel free to ask questions.
Don't feel intimidated; we are all a bunch of pretty cool guys (and gals). Feel free to post advice, comments, ideas, suggestions, and even pics.

================================================== ================================================== ===============

And yes... Scotland is NOT part of England. I'm on my way for my first visit later this year!

Old 03-13-2005, 03:46 AM
Site Moderator

I have a problem with my accelerator pedal also. /every time I drive my car on a straight section or road, it just falls to the floor. I dunno why, but it's a lot of fun.

This will help fix the slop.

http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shar...rain&IL=AWEDTS

Old 03-14-2005, 11:40 AM
1st Gear

Thanks guys, really helpfull!! I'll let you know hoew I get on