Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Dealer Motivation or Incentives

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 07:17 PM
1st Gear
Default Dealer Motivation or Incentives

I've been in the market for an A3 for some time now and have had many discussions with a couple sales people at a couple of different dealerships.

In terms of what the dealership can sell me, here are the options:

1. Car that is sitting on their lot
2. Car that is scheduled to be delivered to them
3. Car that is sitting at port or in transit that they can get but is not scheduled to go to them
4. Custom order from the factory

For the most part, the salespeople tell me they'd rather sell me a car on their lot and that they are more motivated to do that. When negotiating for a car they aren't scheduled to receive, my thought is they would be more willing to deal on it, since if it weren't for me as a customer, they'd never receive this car and therefore would never make the sale of that car.

A car already sitting on their lot is eventually going to sell (most likely), just maybe not to me.

Anyone know the real story here or have any thoughts?

Old 10-02-2006, 07:27 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Dealer Motivation or Incentives

My A3 is in transit.

I went to a dealership and they did a search for entire east coast of A3's arriving.
Found one to my liking with my options I wanted. But the car was in transit, and heading to New Hampshire, I am in NJ.

So, I didnt get the price I wanted from that dealer. but it was VERY close.

The next day, went to another dealer, same exact car in transit.
Showed him the offer from the previous dealer, salesguy went to his manager and they beat that offer.

I dont know if it had anything to do with the car still being in transit. But it probably made the manager think about it. He probably said "This guy really wants this A3, he may go back and take the previous dealer's offer, lets just route the car to us and make this deal happen"

Who knows, but I got the price I wanted. The car is still 3-4 weeks away.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:56 PM

ORIGINAL: uwhusky

I've been in the market for an A3 for some time now and have had many discussions with a couple sales people at a couple of different dealerships.

In terms of what the dealership can sell me, here are the options:

1. Car that is sitting on their lot
2. Car that is scheduled to be delivered to them
3. Car that is sitting at port or in transit that they can get but is not scheduled to go to them
4. Custom order from the factory

For the most part, the salespeople tell me they'd rather sell me a car on their lot and that they are more motivated to do that. When negotiating for a car they aren't scheduled to receive, my thought is they would be more willing to deal on it, since if it weren't for me as a customer, they'd never receive this car and therefore would never make the sale of that car.

A car already sitting on their lot is eventually going to sell (most likely), just maybe not to me.

Anyone know the real story here or have any thoughts?
Dealers will be motivated to sell anything on the lot. Ordering cars is a PITA and they don't want to work on delayed sales. The salesperson will want the deal done today. Also, dealerships get about 90 days worth of a "float" from the factory on the price of the car and anything sitting too long will eventually cost them money. The dealership might also get a spiff or perk for selling cars sitting on the lot. That is information that the dealer will probably not share with you. You'll definitely get the best deal on any 2006 sitting on the lot, next on any 2007 sitting on the lot, next on anything in transit, lastly on a special order car.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:09 PM
1st Gear

Yes, that helps. What is PITA?

It sounds like a dealer won't be "very" motivated to sell until the car gets closer to coming off of its float, or about 90 days after it arrives on the lot.

Old 10-02-2006, 09:29 PM

ORIGINAL: uwhusky

Yes, that helps. What is PITA?

It sounds like a dealer won't be "very" motivated to sell until the car gets closer to coming off of its float, or about 90 days after it arrives on the lot.
Pain
In
The
A "butt"

The dealer wants to get any car on the lot sold as quickly as possible. Obviously, the longer the car sits on the lot, the more motivated they are to sell it.

You just need to do a little research on prices people are paying for the car, outfitted the way you want, and check to see if that number works in your budget. Then go and find that car and negotiate to that price, or better. Not too hard, just don't be afraid to walk away from the car of your dreams. Leave the dealer your phone number and tell them to call when they want to sell the car.

Good luck!

Old 10-02-2006, 10:38 PM
2nd Gear

Hey chef your so right, i am not even going to comment cause you hit it right on the cabesa.
What i would like to comment on is your Bears logo, they might rule, but my Miami Dolphins are going to the Super Bowl.
Not because there good but because the super bowl is in miami, the team is sucking like a chest wound right now.[:@]
Thought you might get a laugh out of that.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:56 PM
1st Gear

I wish I could have the same leverage with the local dealer; I don't because they are the only Audi dealer within a 2 hour drive. Unfortunately I want the stock roof rails and really want to pass on the Broken Sky system, but everything on the lot present and future will have sunroof and no rails.