Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Did the PCV Fix/Mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 04:36 AM
2nd Gear
Default Did the PCV Fix/Mod

VW Vortex Thread

I decided to do the PCV mod posted on vwvortex since I was noticing some boost irregulatities from my boost guage. I went to Phoenix AZ for thanks giving and got to really *listen* to the car and toy around with a few things for the 300+ mile trek. On a side note, I actually got to drive around some people who loved to drive. I ran into a Hemi Charger and a 350Z and all 3 of us weaved in and out of traffic (*safely*) until each one reached their destination which was followed up with a friendly wave goodbye.

Anyways back on topic. During the drive I noticed I couldn't spike to 19psi like I used too and could only hold 16psi consistenlty in all gears. I never really noticed the drop in PSI since the A3 still felt strong. So I thought back to the thread I saw in vwvortex and decided to do the mod which results in the pic below.

Now before doing this fix I did a few runs again today both in the morning and afternoon to see if I could spike 19 and hold 18 like I used too. I tried gears 3 - 5 and no luck. The best one was spiked at 18 and hold 16psi. When I got home I threw the valve on which took about 20 mins and took it out for a test drive. Immediatly I could see the results. It was easy to spike 19psi but what was even better was the car was actually holding 18.5psi! Now I can't comment on the power difference because I was too stoked that this tiny valve would do the trick. After giving it a good run I came back the garage to check the condition of the mod. I found that the plastic fittings/valve and rubber hose were only warm to the touch after some hard driving which leads me to believe that this will last a good while. I only noticed the fittings and hoses to get hot after turning off the car and leaving it to absorb all the engine heat which shouldn't be an issue. I will be testing this some more on my drive down to san diego tomorrow. Hopefully this solution will keep up until audi's revised PCV gets out of BackOrder status

Old 11-29-2006, 06:04 PM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: Did the PCV Fix/Mod

Thanks for the DIY A3Night, my boost has been doing the same thing for over a month now. I just thought it was the weather. It spikes up to 18 then back down to 15 or 16. It's not holding at 18 anymore like it used to.

Where did you get the PVC pipe, same place as the vortex thread?

Old 11-29-2006, 06:30 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Good to know that the premier DIY Audi garage in Irvine is already prepared for my next fix (PCV and/or DV)! How many miles on your odometer, A3Night?

On an aside, have you figured out how to log with my VAG-com cable yet? (So I can see whether I have the same problem in the future.) As you know, I am not installing a boost gauge (to maintain my clean OEM interior).

Old 11-30-2006, 03:31 PM
2nd Gear

13,000 miles and growing.

I got the PCV from the mcmaster.com http://www.mcmaster.com/asp/enter.asp?partnum=1424T37

For the 90degree elbows, I picked those up from lowes. On the way back from san diego I scared myself to a near death when passing a car in 5th gear at WOT when the car gave me about 10% more power than I expected. I guess I got some of that long lost power back. To come back to the near death thing, I was in the fast lane and a car in front of me was losing speed from going up a hill on the 5, I decide to pass him so I shift down to 5 (could've shifted to 4th but didn't need that much) and decided to get up close and fake clip him while I gass it. Big mistake!!! I almost did clip him and the momentum and the weigh transfer from going over the peak of the hill thew off my steering. OOPS!!!

Old 11-30-2006, 04:34 PM
SoCal Crew Member

that's just a regular heater hose right?

Old 11-30-2006, 04:49 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: socaljoe

that's just a regular heater hose right?
yes

Old 12-01-2006, 11:42 PM

Okay, now I figured it out. You just read all of the technical data and let me know what I need to do to my car. Looks like I've got another mod to do over this weekend. Definitely need to get that boost gauge installed soon too!

Thanks!

Old 12-02-2006, 12:56 AM
1st Gear

I'm not really sure about this mod. I do agree with the boost gage. need to get me one. I'm thinking drivers side air vent install

Old 12-02-2006, 01:04 AM

ORIGINAL: 4RINGSROD

I'm not really sure about this mod. I do agree with the boost gage. need to get me one. I'm thinking drivers side air vent install
AWE

[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 12-02-2006, 09:24 PM
1st Gear

I did this pcv fix. Improved mpgs. Boosting 1.5-2#^. Boost gauge needle is moving more fluidly!
Same mcmaster valve.