Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Does the CHP approve the Autosock?

Old 12-02-2007, 05:29 PM
1st Gear
Default Does the CHP approve the Autosock?

Does anyone know if the CHP approves the Autosock as a snow traction device?

You know how they set up those checkpoints at the base of a mountain to check if every car has chains, etc.

I don't want to spend the money on the Autosock if the CHP won't even let me up the mountain with it.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:19 PM
Default RE: Does the CHP approve the Autosock?

I remember reading posts in other forums where some have had luck, and others have been turned away. That wouldis a great question to be answered, and if it is legal, some way to bring proof for the guys on the mountain.

Cheers!

Old 12-02-2007, 09:33 PM
1st Gear

I found something on the CHP website regarding studded tires. Maybe the same procedure can be done for the Autosock. Has anyone done this?

Off the CHP Website:
The California Vehicle Code [Section 27454 (e)], permits studded tires to be used on vehicles between November 1 and April 30 of each year. The number of studs or the percentage of metal in contact with the roadway cannot exceed three percent of the total tire area in contact with the roadway.

Since there could be some confusion on this issue, you may wish to write to the CHP. That way you will receive an official response that you can carry in your vehicle. The mailing address is:

California Highway Patrol
Office of Public Affairs
P. O. Box 942898
Sacramento, CA 94298-0001

Old 12-02-2007, 11:35 PM
1st Gear

Are you sure those things even work? I would be kind of hesitant to trust it. Have you looked into spikes-spiders?

From the Autosock website FAQ:

[align=center]Are they approved for use on roads where snow chains are mandatory?[/align]

Per date, AutoSock is not approved as a snow chain according to the Önorm 5117.
Nevertheless the areas where snow chains are mandatory are very limited.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:32 PM
SrK
1st Gear

Have anybody tried these? they seem to be reasonably priced and harmless to the car...

www.flextrax.com

Old 12-16-2007, 05:45 PM
1st Gear

I looked at the flextrax too - problem is with backside clearance. Look on the website "Before You Buy" section. http://www.flextrax.com/nofit.html The A4 is listed as one of the cars that don't have enough clearance.

Why is the only options for the A3 so darn expensive. Normal chains are $30, the spikes spider is ... $300 or so? That's ... a rear sway bar right there!