Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Door hinge too tight

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 12:56 AM
1st Gear
Default Door hinge too tight

Anyone notice the door hinges seem overly tight. I didnt think much of it until tonight when my wife commented on it. The doors open to two different angles where the hinge is designed to hold the door in place at a fixed degree. As I open the doors, the resistive force of the door increases rapidly as it swings out toward the first fixed holding spot. Once the door reaches point where the roller on the hinge engadges the notch for holding, the door suddenly loses all resistance and actually pulls away causing it to bounce the door back and forth until it seats itself. This is true of the second notch near full opening too. I assumed it the hinge needed a breakin period. I test drove 3 Different A3's and I noticed mine was a little tight on the door hinges verses the other ones I drove. Is it possible to adjust the hinges? Has anyone noticed this on their doors and is there a self adjustment or would a service trip be necessary?
BTW , I noticed the rollers were painted and the paint was getting worn off. Why AUDI would need or want to paint a moving part under extrem stree load, I don't know. The car had 175 miles on it so the doros should be broken in. In general I don't trust car dealers, even Premium car dealers like AUDI, so I want to hear from everyone before I go ask them what's up.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:07 AM
Default RE: Door hinge too tight

Come out to Irvine next weekend and we can look at it. I never noticed any problems with my doors or the hinges.

Cheers!

Old 07-09-2007, 01:30 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Door hinge too tight

Chef, thanks for the invitation. I would love to come down for the meet. It will help me add some breakin miles too. My car only has 250 miles on it now so I won't be up for any cruise runs until I break it in. The temptation to run it hard will be too great.

My wife is throwing a poker party Saturday night the 14th, so I am not sure how I will be feeling on Sunday.In case you poker fans are wondering, herparties are usually a $40-50 dollar buy-in Texas holdem. Everyone gets 100 playing chips and it's all-in style. We get about 24 of our friends and family and it lasts until about 12-1 AM.

I hope to make it down for at least the parking lot meeting just to say hi and take a quick look at everyones ride. I would like tocommit to a full day of fun butI might be a little tired and I want my car broken in correctly before cruisin.