Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

DSG opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 10:08 PM
1st Gear
Default DSG opinions

I recently purchased a 2006 A3 S line and I am new to DSG. After driving a manual exclusively for 8 years I'm still getting aquainted with automatic shifting. From a stopped position I've noticed some "jerky" behavior in shifting. If I ease into it very lightly it is unnoticable, if I step into it heavy it has a small lag, however, with what I would consider a normal foot (again I have not driven an automatic for a long time) it tends to snap in after a short lag. I've read in several other threads a reference to "jerky" behavior at low speeds and gears. What should I expect as normal?

Old 08-23-2008, 12:29 AM
Thumbs up Cool Transmission

I've had mine for 2 1/2 years and am still not totally got it

But having said that, I still love the transmission, and still learning.

You have to be decisive on what you want to do or else the DSG will try to anticipate what you want to do. I have undiagnosed A.D.D. (hahaha) and at times forget what I am driving. If you are decisive the 'jerky' behavior is diminished, the DSG does not know what you want, and try's to anticipate what you want.

I try to anticipate what I want and find that the transmission forces me to focus on driving. A slow steady acceleration and then punching it, work better for me, than just punching it from a complete stop.

Having said all that, it is a blast to drive, I do not know if my next car will have DSG, but for now it will do